The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 06:33 AM

gvillevol is on a distinguished road
Default New Angling system....

Read about this in the newest Fly Fisherman magazine I got. Has anyone tried it before? It looks and sounds pretty cool. They must be quite new because their website isn't up and running yet. Check out the youtube video in their blog though.

Moffitt Angling
Old 12-16-2008, 08:19 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Angling system....

So, there's no hook in the fly, but instead there's a bare hook at the end of the leader. I'm trying to figure why this is better?

Fish won't feel the hook, so it won't spit out the fly? I think the fish will still know it's not a real bug. It would have to hang onto the fly longer than normal to slide down to the hook.

I'm open for a better explanation.

edit..Ok, I see now. I looked at the pictures. The hook is on the outside and does less damage. Interesting idea.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:59 AM

Guy will become famous soon enough

There was a recent discussion on this on the Dan Blanton Board. The general concensus was the moffit system equals snagging and may not be legal in many jurisdictions and certainly not "flyfishing kosher".

I am not sure I would fish this way, but by the same token, I wouldn't be quite so hard on it. The idea is to hook (snag) the fish outside of the mouth reducing deep throat / gill hook ups. If considered legal where you fish, I wouldn't hold it against any one if they used the system (or kick you out of my boat!)
Old 12-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Its got some aspects of pegged beads and tube fly fishing, both of which have been around for a while.

If you think about it though, its really a **** shoot as to whether a hook 6" away from the thing they're attacking is going to hook them. Seems like it would be especially problematic when swinging or bottom bouncing a fly.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:41 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

After looking at it, I figure it would be illegal up here. The regs. specify that the fly must be tied on a hook. Interesting set up though.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:24 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

I wouldn't call it a new system. They have been using this rigging for fishing egg patterns in Alaska for ten years or more. It can be affective and it does keep anglers from hooking fish deep and in the gills. The trade offs though are hooking fish outside of the mouth, possibly and eye as well as a few missed fish.

There is plenty of debate as to wether or not it is Koser with fly snobs, but until they prove to me that it is any more detremental to fish than standard rigs I will continue to use it on occassion.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:58 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

What are the flies tied on to?