The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 01:07 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Question about your dog

I just finished a search to see if anyone takes their dog with them on fishing trips. Didn't find anything so I wanted to ask everyone here. Do you take your dog fishing? What are the do's and don'ts?
I was looking through a fly fishing book at the store. There was a really cool picture of the author holding a large bow and his Border Collie standing on a rock in the river bent over staring at it.
One part of me says yes (they are well trained); the other worries about their safety.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:27 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about your dog

Years ago I had a elderly dog that I would take with me
He rarely got into trouble, most often he's sit on the bank and watch
His failing eyesight was a problem though, one day thinking that I was moving downstream he followed a passing canoe. Didn't come back for hours
Another time I brought him, he just slept in a streamside meadow while I moved off to fish. I never lost track of him that day though, I just looked for the circling vultures

The dog that I have now doesn't stray much, still I don't bring him very often.
He's has no conception of 'stealth'
He'll stand in the water watching for rises ..(he does realize why we're there)... then, when he spots a fish he'll splash his way over for a better look
Old 12-16-2008, 05:42 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Dad and I took our black lab one time years ago when dad and the lab were both still walking this earth. we were crappie fishing with jig and minnows the first cast dad made with a minnow and bobber the dog went nuts jumping out of the canoe to "fetch" the bobber LOL.
earlier this year I was fly fishing the little red when I seen a guy with his lab fishing a hole, I have to admite I thought oh boy here we go, figureing the lab was going to run wild and splash through holes and just mess up what ever stretch of river they were on at the time.
To my surprise the dog set beside his human and never done anything that would make him unwelcome in a duck blind or trout river.
I have heard stories thou of a dog miss behaveing and messing a stretch of river up for evryone.
Bear
Old 12-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I used to take my yellow lab and chesapeake cross fishing with me all the time. He loved the water and as he got older was pretty good at just sitting on the bank and watching me fish, I didn't have much trouble with him wondering off. Last year he past away with cancer. Now when I get to fish with my son, we always take his black lab fishing. The lab is only 2. Once when we were fishing this summer over on the Delany Buttes lake, my son had a big rainbow on and had it up pretty close to the boat when it jumped out of the water. That was too much for my son's dog, in a split second he jumped out of the boat. We were both totally surprised, but all ended well. While my son continued the fight I pulled the lab back in the boat. We had a good laugh over that one.

Larry
Old 12-17-2008, 10:53 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

Taking a dog along on a fishing trip can be a joyus experience. I take my dog as often as possible but I also have to leave her at home some times. I don't usually take her if I am going to be fishing a place that I know will be crowded and if I do I make sure to keep her in the boat at the boat ramp and not let her run around and get in other anglers way. I also have to limit her trips when I am wade fishing because some areas are not condusive or safe for her to be with me. There are several fisheries in my area that have populations of rattlers and she stays home when I venture to these streams. There are also some other places that are smaller waters that we can access through private water as long as we stay within the high water mark. Taking a dog to these streams can lead to confrontations and problems with landowners. Other than that she is one of my favorite fishing companions and she truely loves fishing more than her instinctual sport of chasing Upland Game birds.

Here are a few photo's:
Fish Pointer
Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Dog days of winter:
Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 12-17-2008, 10:56 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

Taking a dog along on a fishing trip can be a joyus experience. I take my dog as often as possible but I also have to leave her at home some times. I don't usually take her if I am going to be fishing a place that I know will be crowded and if I do I make sure to keep her in the boat at the boat ramp and not let her run around and get in other anglers way. I also have to limit her trips when I am wade fishing because some areas are not condusive or safe for her to be with me. There are several fisheries in my area that have populations of rattlers and she stays home when I venture to these streams. There are also some other places that are smaller waters that we can access through private water as long as we stay within the high water mark. Taking a dog to these streams can lead to confrontations and problems with landowners. Other than that she is one of my favorite fishing companions and she truely loves fishing more than her instinctual sport of chasing Upland Game birds.

Here are a few photo's:
Fish Pointer
Click the image to open in full size.

Dog days of winter:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:59 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Talk about looks of anticipation!! Beautiful puppies!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:49 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I take mine all the time, he plays with sticks or fishes too.. He caught 2 chubs and a trout this year. I've seen trout rise behind him after he stirs the bottom..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7-28-07 005.jpg (72.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 7-28-07 008.jpg (74.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 7-28-07 012.jpg (59.4 KB, 4 views)
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-17-2008, 02:18 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I take my old dog with me when the weathers OK & most of the time he just lays on the bank & watches. Every so often he swims or walks out to remind me he's still around. When he was younger, sometimes I would tie him up so he wouldn't wander but he stays pretty close now.
A friend told me a story about a guy he knew in Penn. who had a black lab & a farm pond with a lot of bass in it. He said the guy would get a fence slat & tie a length of mono with a hook on it to the end , put a worm on the hook & toss it out into the pond. When a fish took the worm & the stick was moving , he would tell the dog to go get the stick & the dog would retrieve the stick with the fish attached. He said it was one of the funniest things he ever saw.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Fishn50: That was a great story!

Biggie and Sandfly: Loved your dog photos!

Larry