The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 02:25 PM

foothillstrout is on a distinguished road
Default The River Why

I am new to fly fishing and in being so kind of new to the culture as well. I am just finishing reading the Novel The River Why by David James Duncan and was wondering other then A River Runs Through It what classic literature of this caliber is out there that I should know about.

On a side note I unfortunately missed the Savannah Film Festival this past Friday where they screened the new River Why film that has yet to pick up a studio to distribute it. Has anyone seen it? What did ya think? I am dieing to see this thing on a big screen just wish it would show some place closer then a 6 hour ride.

Last edited by foothillstrout; 11-07-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:32 PM

fishtacos will become famous soon enoughfishtacos will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The River Why

Are you from Savannah?
Old 11-07-2010, 02:37 PM

foothillstrout is on a distinguished road

Greenville, SC or Columbia SC depending on the day of the week.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:44 PM

lukewl will become famous soon enoughlukewl will become famous soon enough

Ah I miss Savannah, I went to school there.

Check out John Geirarch (spelling?) he has some very entertaining books. Im hoping to run into him one day as I live in his area now.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:27 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

This is Variety's review ( Industry Trade) of the movie, "The River Why"...it may be quite a while before it gets a distribution deal or it could go direct to DVD...

The River Why Review - Read Variety's Analysis Of The Movie The River Why

"A River Runs Through It", it is not...the author of the book distanced himself from the film....

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 11-08-2010, 10:48 AM

m47kevin is on a distinguished road

I love that writer! And yes you spelled his name right! Although he has written manual type books ("Fly Fishing Small Streams," "Fly Fishing the High Country," "Fishing Bamboo"), The fishing author Gierach has made his name and his career with the folksy, me-and-Joe stories collected in his many other books, including "Sex, Death, and Flyfishing"—His best is a cult classic, "Trout Bum," which he wrote in 1985. He shows his true colors as a down-to-earth guy, preferring the company of a couple good friends to the posturing of a large industry gathering. Kinda like me!