The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 01:11 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Loop Knots

I use the Rapala knot, same result as a surgeon's loop but you don't have to pass the fly through knot when you tie it.

The Rapala Knot

P.S. I love this animated knot website...
Old 12-19-2008, 01:14 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
I use the Rapala knot, same result as a surgeon's loop but you don't have to pass the fly through knot when you tie it.

The Rapala Knot

Kind of a bulky knot for a small nymph.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:19 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post

The Rapala Knot

Except for the 'improvement' at the end, that's how you the non-slip-mono
The 'improvement' is totally unnecessary
Old 12-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say, it looks like a modified Non Slip. I agree too bulky for 18 and smaller. Maybe even 16.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:32 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Loop Knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Greenwood,
While you are practicing, give the Non-Slip Mono knot a try. You will find it much easier.Frank
Frank,

I agree with you, Can you link the earlier very-clear diagram of that knot you earlier posted?

Cheers,
Neil
Old 12-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Neil,

I don't remember what I posted before. I looked back in my old post and didn't find the post you are referring to.

Here is a link to a FAQ post that has links to three good knot sites. If you can give me a little more information about that other post maybe I can find it. I think I need to go back into the FAQ post and list the types of knots listed at each site. It will be a bit of work.

Frank
Old 12-20-2008, 10:35 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Neil,

I don't remember what I posted before. I looked back in my old post and didn't find the post you are referring to.

Here is a link to a FAQ post that has links to three good knot sites. If you can give me a little more information about that other post maybe I can find it. I think I need to go back into the FAQ post and list the types of knots listed at each site. It will be a bit of work.

Frank
Frank,

Attached is the image I saved of tying the Non-Slip Mono Knot which I think was yours, but I may be wrong. It is an easily-read diagram.

Cheers,
Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Non-slip mono knot.jpg (15.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen the light! Greenwood, thanks to Frank, I took a shoe lace and tied the Surgeon's loop and the Non-slip.....I will post a picture.
The NON SLIP is a much smaller knot....BIG PLUS! Thanks Frank.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:03 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

I'll still stick to the double surgeons knot. I find it easier with my eyesight, and especially with cold fingers.

That's why we have many knots that serve the same purpose. Pick the one you like best.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:13 AM

I am thinking that too Pete, plus I can tie that in the dark (which I guess is the same thing as failing eyes LOL) Plus cold fingers.
But I played with the Uni and it really is easy, plus less waist. Try it a could of times.