The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 01:14 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Home Made Gadgets

For a few years now I,ve been using one of those electronic "mini grabbers" to hold a small fly while tying it on the tippet. I just came across a gadget I made a long time ago that worked pretty well also. I had taken An old click type ball point pen apart & pulled the tip off the ink tube & cleaned it out with solvent. Then I put a small piece of piano wire inside of the tube to form a loop. crimped it down & reassembled the pen. When you tie on a fly you just click the pen to push the loop out the end, snag the fly & let it go & the spring holds the fly. In cold weather it makes tying on a fly easier for someone like me with big hands. I was wondering if anyone else has some homemade gadgets they use for fishing or fly tying.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:16 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Home Made Gadgets

I use a few things that I have made/modified. First, I use a hair stacker made of copper water tube. I've made a custom trash bag for my vise. To flare out the dubbing for scuds, I use a gun cleaning wire brush tip.

I use other things too but can't think of them off hand.

I like your pen idea. I have a pair of forsips(sp) attached to my vest that I use to hold flies while I tie the tippet on.

John
Old 12-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

fishn50: I like your pen idea for holding flies.

Larry
Old 12-19-2008, 10:49 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Got any pictures of this.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:14 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I took some pictures & I'll post them as soon as I figure out how.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:22 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
I took some pictures & I'll post them as soon as I figure out how.
FISN50, let me know how you did it; I got a bunch I'd like to post also.

Thanks,
Neil
Old 12-21-2008, 01:01 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Fly2Fish

All you do is press on the Reply button, type some text and then scroll down, under the field "Additional Options" you will see a button "Manage Attachments". Press that button and you will see a button that says "Browse", press that button to find the photo you want to upload, then once you have that located, press the Upload button. The only caution is to make sure the photo if in jpeg format isn't any larger than 97.7 KB.

Larry
Old 12-21-2008, 03:39 PM

Here's the photos. I put in the mini grabbers & a fly for perspective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Web IMGP1045.jpg (70.3 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Web IMGP1037.jpg (54.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Web IMGP1044.jpg (41.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 12-21-2008, 05:46 PM

stratton321 is on a distinguished road

Hi there I am a UK enthusiast without a lot of experience, and have to book out 3 months in advance from busy work for a days expensive lake rainbow trout fishing. I pack some lunch with a bottle of beer and I am as happy as a man who has just won the lottery, and of course a fish is a bonus. I like your idea of the click pen and I spend much time thinking of gadgets one idea is how to thread nylon through a small eye of a fly. Just use a needle threader the fine wire loop type poked through the eye, then pass the nylon through the loop and pull through easy save time and catch more fish
Old 12-21-2008, 06:03 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough

sounds pretty cool, could i see an image of it? and on that note anyone else who made a home made gadget?