western fly fishing advice

boone

Reaction score
This might be a pretty broad subject but any help on it would be appreciated.

The story is, that a friend and i are taking a road trip out west this summer. We will be going to some of the main rivers out there and possibly up into Canada. We havent set a definate route yet but we'll likely be hitting Montana, Utah, Idaho, Colorado, and Canada.

My question is: what kind of patterns should i use? I am familiar with eastern techniues but i have no idea what i should use to produce out west.

Also if someone has some must hit spots or rivers that they would like to recomend that would be great.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Boone

Your questtion about what to use out here in the west is just too broad. First I would narrow down the waters you want to fish, then ask specific questions on how and what to fish during a specific month of the year. To get really detailed information on what to fish on any given river, what I like to do is contact local fly shops, those guys fish their local waters everyday and will have the best information on where to go and how to fish.

Here are a few ideas about where to fish, but even this is hard to answer unless you tell us what type of fishing do you like to do: small mountain streams where you hike in to get away from the crowds, lake fishing, etc.
Without knowing what you like, I'll offer up a few spots that I would recommend: The Green River in Utah, below the Flaming Gorge Reservoir, this river is broken up into three sections, section A starts just below the dam and runs 7 miles to Little Hole, this is nicknamed the Aquarium due to the 1,000 ft cliffs and the crystal clear green water, allowing sight fishing. There is a walking trail all the way from the dam to little hole allowing fisherman to spread out and lots of camping in the area. This section is also very popular with the floaters on the weekends, I would recommend fishing this during the week to avoid the crowds. Streams in and around Yellowstone Park, there are some world class fishing here and you could fish here a lifetime and never hit all of the quality water. The Snake River and the South Fork of the Snake in Wyoming and Utah. The numerous streams in the Wind Mountains. The North Platte (WY) and the Bighorn (MT). The Roaring Fork and the Frying Pan near Carbondale and Basalt, CO. The South Platte (the Miracle Mile section) in CO. The San Juan River in northern New Mexico. You know the problem here is that there is just so much quality water out here in the west that I can't cover it all.
There are a series of Fly Fishing books that I would recommend you get once you decide on a state or states you want to fish: Flyishers's Guide to Wyoming (or Colorado, Montana, etc). These books detail all of the major streams and lakes, public access points and have detailed maps and information on how and what to use during different times of the year.

Good luck and keep us posted and keep asking questions, we will try to offer you the best advice we can.

Larry

doc

Reaction score
If your Canada plans include Alberta. I suggest the Crowsnest River (the Trout Unlimited leased land stretch) and the Bow River downstream of Calgary (both are open to fishing all season). If you plan on coming up after June 16 (when most streams open), I might also suggest the Livingstone for some cutthroat on the dry.

Crowsnest Fishing Reports

Bow River Fishing Reports

Livingstone River Fishing Reports

Cheers,
Doc

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Boone

I forgot about the fly fishing radio. That is a great source for information. Last week Craig Matthews from Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowston gave a great presentation on fly fishing opportunitites is Yellowstone. Here is the link to the broadcast.
Fly Fishing - Internet Radio

Larry

boone

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information yal... As i said before we dont have a set route yet... We are doing a ton of research. The stuff that we turn up from our research will help us to decide where we will be going. Needless to say the information that i can get off of this website is second to none so i will definately take what everyone says to heart.

Thanks again. Keep the resposes coming, i cant get enough info!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Boone

Sounds like you are putting in the effort to find the areas that you want to fish, which will make your trip a success. As you narrow down the areas, keep asking questions, there is a ton of knowledge on the forum and the people here are more than willing to assist.

Larry

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Neil

Thanks. That's the problem. This area is so resource rich you just can't cover all the great fishing locations.

Larry

OldMan

Reaction score
Another place to consider if you come before runoff, is the caddis hatch on the Arkansas River Co.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Boone

I forgot to mention "Spring Run Off". Last year the Rockies received a record amount of snow fall over the winter months and the run off didn't really finish until mid-July. That is something to consider depending on the river you have in mind for your vacation, it won't impact the tailwater areas like the San Juan, Frying Pan or the Grey Reef (on the North Platte), but definately something you should keep in the back of your mind. I remember posts on this forum last year where folks had planned a fishing vacation in the Yellowstone area in early June when most of the streams were in spring runoff.

Larry

OldMan

Reaction score
Pete

What time of the year does the caddis hatch typically come off on the AK?

Larry
A normal year would be mid April on the lower section. How far north it moves before runoff depends on the weather.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Boone

I forgot to mention "Spring Run Off". Last year the Rockies received a record amount of snow fall over the winter months and the run off didn't really finish until mid-July. That is something to consider depending on the river you have in mind for your vacation, it won't impact the tailwater areas like the San Juan, . . . Larry
Actually, Larry, the heavy snowfall and consequent heavy run-off did affect the San Juan in that the Navajo Dam reservoir feeding into the San Juan had to considerably increase their flows, and for longer than normal, which meant that the San Juan wasn't really wadeable for quite a while later than normally is the case (of course, the inept "management" of San Juan river flows from the Navajo Dam reservoir probably had quite a bit to do with it :icon_evil).

Neil

boone

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the information. One of the main reasons we are planing so far in advance is because we know that the plans will change. we really will only have a few "set" destinations. Most of the time we will probably pull into a town and ask around to see what we'll be doing. We are gonna set aside about 4 weeks to do this so we will take our time. If any of you feel like coming along on a trip feel free to ask. If possible we'll swing by and we can take a day or two, or whatever... to go out and experience the local fishing. we are gonna take lots of pictures and document most of it with a video camera so i'll put up links to those when the time comes.

I'm sure that when we get closer to the time of our trip i'll be able to get more specific info on where the fish are biting so i'm sure this thread will get revived constantly.

Keep it coming though, i'm a sponge soak me!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Neil: That is interesting, I would never have thought that the heavy run off would have impacted the San Juan. I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I'm planning a trip down that way.

Boone: If you tie your own flies, that fly fishing internet radio site (I posted earlier) is a great site to listen to professional guides talk about their local waters. You will gain quite an insight into fishing the Rockies from listening to some of the past episodes. By the way, how many people do you have in your group?

Larry

boone

Reaction score
Mc: I do tie my own flies, and will/have listened to the radio broadcast. Thanks a ton! It is just a friend of mine that i go to school with (the trip will be between our junior and senior years of college) and myself, but as i was saying before feel free to come along for a day or two when we are in your section or the country. I'm sure after a while we would both appreciate a new face to talk to.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Boone-

The guidebooks mentioned by state are excellent. In addition to tips on specific rivers, you’ll get maps with access sites.

To whet your appetite, here’s a site with links to some rivers by state, with some info on each:
Welcome to the Flyfishingconnection

If you’re thinking of going to Yellowstone this book by Craig Mathews is very good:
Amazon.com: The Yellowstone Fly-Fishing Guide: Craig Mathews, Clayton Molinero: Books

There are a variety of different water types—spring creeks (small flies delicate presentations), small fast freestone rivers (big bushy dries), slower big food-rich freestone rivers with a variety of hatches from small (tricos) to huge (salmonflies), and tailwaters (small flies and midges). Hatches will vary by latitude, water type (spring, small fast freestone, slow big freestone, tailwater, lakes) and water source (snow melt or other) same as in the East, but the big difference is the effect of altitude for us eastern guys, with hatches occurring at different times, early lower and later as you move up into colder water on the same stream.

Here are some very general “western hatch charts” that by their nature is very general, but it’ll give you some idea of the sequence of hatches if not the exact timing for specific waters. Main differences form our eastern waters will be PEDs, PMD’s, Callibaetis, ginormous stoneflies like the Salmonfly, Western Green Drake/Grandis and Flav (smaller and greener than the eastern green drake and hatches last a longer time, an important hatch in many places out west), hoppers in August are a bigger deal and a lot more emphasis on stimulator and caddis patterns (dries and emergers and specific western hatches like the Black Dancer in late summer and October Caddis in PNW in early fall that we don't have and cased caddis patterns like the brassy) and more emphasis on fast water patterns like humpies and trudes for steep gradient streams.

Lot’s of stuff like BWO’s, and other stuff you probably have for eastern stuff are good out west of course. Here’s a link if you want to get a head start on some tying:
Western Fly Hatch Charts

Do a lot of research and try to hit specific waters that you’ve mapped out in advance Google hatch charts on the waters you plan to fish to get background info and zero in on fly shops for local up to the minute advice when you get there.

Sounds like a great trip, you should have a blast!

peregrines