The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 12:31 AM

boone is on a distinguished road
Default western fly fishing advice

This might be a pretty broad subject but any help on it would be appreciated.

The story is, that a friend and i are taking a road trip out west this summer. We will be going to some of the main rivers out there and possibly up into Canada. We havent set a definate route yet but we'll likely be hitting Montana, Utah, Idaho, Colorado, and Canada.

My question is: what kind of patterns should i use? I am familiar with eastern techniues but i have no idea what i should use to produce out west.

Also if someone has some must hit spots or rivers that they would like to recomend that would be great.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:33 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: western fly fishing advice

Boone

Your questtion about what to use out here in the west is just too broad. First I would narrow down the waters you want to fish, then ask specific questions on how and what to fish during a specific month of the year. To get really detailed information on what to fish on any given river, what I like to do is contact local fly shops, those guys fish their local waters everyday and will have the best information on where to go and how to fish.

Here are a few ideas about where to fish, but even this is hard to answer unless you tell us what type of fishing do you like to do: small mountain streams where you hike in to get away from the crowds, lake fishing, etc.
Without knowing what you like, I'll offer up a few spots that I would recommend: The Green River in Utah, below the Flaming Gorge Reservoir, this river is broken up into three sections, section A starts just below the dam and runs 7 miles to Little Hole, this is nicknamed the Aquarium due to the 1,000 ft cliffs and the crystal clear green water, allowing sight fishing. There is a walking trail all the way from the dam to little hole allowing fisherman to spread out and lots of camping in the area. This section is also very popular with the floaters on the weekends, I would recommend fishing this during the week to avoid the crowds. Streams in and around Yellowstone Park, there are some world class fishing here and you could fish here a lifetime and never hit all of the quality water. The Snake River and the South Fork of the Snake in Wyoming and Utah. The numerous streams in the Wind Mountains. The North Platte (WY) and the Bighorn (MT). The Roaring Fork and the Frying Pan near Carbondale and Basalt, CO. The South Platte (the Miracle Mile section) in CO. The San Juan River in northern New Mexico. You know the problem here is that there is just so much quality water out here in the west that I can't cover it all.
There are a series of Fly Fishing books that I would recommend you get once you decide on a state or states you want to fish: Flyishers's Guide to Wyoming (or Colorado, Montana, etc). These books detail all of the major streams and lakes, public access points and have detailed maps and information on how and what to use during different times of the year.

Good luck and keep us posted and keep asking questions, we will try to offer you the best advice we can.

Larry
Old 12-20-2008, 07:58 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Here's a radio broadcast about the Frying Pan. Everything you'll need to know on where to fish it, what flies to use, and even what gear to use.

Tim Heng | Fly Fishing

Here's the same deal on the So Platte including the Dream Stream.

Pat Dorsey | Fly Fishing
Old 12-20-2008, 09:19 AM

doc will become famous soon enough

If your Canada plans include Alberta. I suggest the Crowsnest River (the Trout Unlimited leased land stretch) and the Bow River downstream of Calgary (both are open to fishing all season). If you plan on coming up after June 16 (when most streams open), I might also suggest the Livingstone for some cutthroat on the dry.

Crowsnest Fishing Reports

Bow River Fishing Reports

Livingstone River Fishing Reports

Cheers,
Doc
Old 12-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Boone

I forgot about the fly fishing radio. That is a great source for information. Last week Craig Matthews from Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowston gave a great presentation on fly fishing opportunitites is Yellowstone. Here is the link to the broadcast.
Fly Fishing - Internet Radio

Larry
Old 12-20-2008, 09:06 PM

boone is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the information yal... As i said before we dont have a set route yet... We are doing a ton of research. The stuff that we turn up from our research will help us to decide where we will be going. Needless to say the information that i can get off of this website is second to none so i will definately take what everyone says to heart.

Thanks again. Keep the resposes coming, i cant get enough info!
Old 12-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Boone

Sounds like you are putting in the effort to find the areas that you want to fish, which will make your trip a success. As you narrow down the areas, keep asking questions, there is a ton of knowledge on the forum and the people here are more than willing to assist.

Larry
Old 12-20-2008, 10:20 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: western fly fishing advice

Larry,

Great review of the top spots in this resource-rich area.

Cheers,
Neil
Old 12-20-2008, 10:23 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Big Streamers

'nough said
Old 12-21-2008, 02:03 AM
Administrator

Neil

Thanks. That's the problem. This area is so resource rich you just can't cover all the great fishing locations.

Larry