The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 08:02 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default R.L. Winston

I was on another forum (gasp!!!!) and read a short thread about R.L. Winston is cutting jobs and such.

Anyone elaborate on this?
Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: R.L. Winston

They are a hurtin puppy. Only time is going to tell what will happen. Just don't break your Winston if you have one.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:29 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

People stop buying toys when basic needs have to be met first.
The company I work for, a very diverse company at that, just layed off 750 people even though they are still in the black and growing (albeit, not as much as they would like, or are used to!)
I have a feeling this will be a thinning out period for many companies who cater to the leasure industry.
Rumor has it larger rod manufacturers have slimmed down on staff too.
On a tour of the little museum Winston has at the factory I got to see some of the rods they made to get them through the Great Depression of '29. I for one hope they still have that innovative spirit should things get worse this time around.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:42 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

This is definitely a tough time for the fly fishing industry.

My local fly shop told me that they were way down year-on-year in the month of November and the verbal synopsis of December, so far, has been: "terrible". This low volume purchase pattern will quickly push its way back upstream into the manufacturers, who will have to trim staff and abandon the high-cost development programs that lead to new, innovative and fun gear for all of us; all this in order to try to maintain margins; given the significantly lower volumes that they'll be able to move through their retail distributors.

It is a good time for buyers, but as we all hunt for "bargains" in this new environment, I think it's worth bearing in mind that an industry where the consumer "pull" factor is rapidly disappearing and where everything is a "push" from the manufacturers, with strong buy incentives, is not a good long-term prognosis for fly fishermen and women. This is true for both the manufacturers and the retailers; the small fly shops that are so much fun for all of us to frequent; learn about fly fishing and swap an occasional "fish story" or two about the big one that got away. I'm continuing to support my local fly shop at the same rate as I used to; hoping that this recession will break for them and that we'll all be able to get back to life as we knew it before the big banks recklessly pledged all of our collective money to the now-defunct home mortgage spiral.

My wife loves her 8'6" Winston BIIx 5 wt. I hope that the RL Winston Rod Company comes through this troubled time in good shape. I want to see what their next generation of rods looks like; the generation beyond Boron II. For both she and I, the casting feel of a Winston rod is a real treat.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:45 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

Winston is not the only fly fishing Manufacturer laying off employees but everyone loves to gossip about Winston for some reason. I really wonder why everyone keeps such tabs on Winston and never brings up when other companies have issues, such as Umpqua and their struggles over the past two years. Why is Winston always the target?
Old 12-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

great site for that kinda news- Fly Fishing, Fly Fishing Gear, Fly Fishing Trips, Fly Fishing Techniques and News - MidCurrent

Interesting discussion of it here too- Winston Fly Rod Company Lays Off Workers, Cites Economic Conditions | The Trout Underground Fly Fishing Blog

Google works y'all.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:10 PM

tlcrep will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
I was on another forum (gasp!!!!) and read a short thread about R.L. Winston is cutting jobs and such.

Anyone elaborate on this?

Well, our economy SUCKS, people are buying about %25 less than before, so this means Winston had to lay off people.