The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 10:04 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default 2wt Reel

I'm looking at options for a reel for my new 2wt rod. I have a WF2F and a DT2F lines inbound. Here's what I'm looking at:

1- I currently own a Martin Mountian Brooke Large Arbor for 3/4wt lines. I can get extra spools for about $16 each.

2- Orvis Clearwater II with spare spool.

3- Pflueger Medalist 1492 with spare spool (I like the retrieve on the left side, so I don't know if this is a viable option as the 1492's are not convertible)

4- Okuma SLV 23 with spare spool.

5- ***** Creek CR234 (from our very own Full Creel). Don't know if you can get a spare spool, but the weight is very light.

I'm open to other options.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:14 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2wt Reel

Usually, 2wt rods need a light reel to balance them properly.

How about the Orvis Barstock? Nice reel and very light.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:28 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

I agree with 'Old Man' on that light of a rod needs a light reel. My suggestion would be (if possible) to go to a fly shop with your rod and try out a couple different reels to see the balance of your pole. Then I would buy a reel that matches the same weight (weight of reel itself) so that you keep that balance.

John
Old 12-23-2008, 12:03 PM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

the orvis bar stock would be a good option, i think you can get one at a bass pro for 89 dollars.

Good lightweight reel.

I dont know how well any of the reels you have mentioned will work on a 2 weight as they are all heavy.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:21 PM
RDRogers is on a distinguished road

Orvis just raised their prices to something around $120. At that price point you can't beat these:

Ross Reels Rhythm #0 Fly Fishing Reel - 1wt to 3wt - Save 30%

At this price you can't go wrong. They offer additional discounts this time of year too.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:42 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

The Ross is way too heavy, 4 oz! And twice the price.
The BBS is only 3.2 oz and still $89.
I wish someone made a plastic reel that weighed about 1 or 2 oz and only cost about $25.
You really don't need a smooth drag for a 2wt!! No drag at all would be a good thing if the reel was lighter.

"People are crazy, times are strange"
"I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range"
"I used to care, but things have changed"
- Dylan
Old 12-23-2008, 10:53 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRichardFly View Post
I wish someone made a plastic reel that weighed about 1 or 2 oz and only cost about $25.
You really don't need a smooth drag for a 2wt!! No drag at all would be a good thing if the reel was lighter.
He's right. Orvis raised the price to $120 for the BBS 1 reel. I'm sure you can find it at the old price of $89 somewhere.

It's still the lightest reel you can buy for the money, and perfect for a 2 wt.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:16 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

OldMan,

You are correct, sir!! I just went to the online Orvis store and $119 for the reel.
A $30 jump.
Still a nice reel, but almost too much for a small arbor reel.
I have a Battenkill Large Arbor size 1 for only a couple bucks more. It used to be $179, but I'm afraid to see what the new price is!!
Everything is going up except my income!!!

- Dylan
Old 12-23-2008, 11:32 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRichardFly View Post
I don't know if they still carry it, But I HAD a plastic reel. LA. Real simple reel with an "O" ring for a drag. Weighed NOTHING! and around $35.
SPORTSMEN'S WAREHOUSE. I bought it for my Scott Eclipse 3 wt. (I know, crazy, a rod that cost around $500. with a $35. reel, but to be honest, on a small rod, I do feel that a reel is just a place to hold the line.)
I sold the whole the whole thing to my Brother in-law. Still has it. I could ask him the name of the reel, but not sure if it is printed on it.

I lucked out and got an ENGLISH older Battenkill LA "I" (3" diameter) for my LL 2 weight and it is perfect.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
the line.)
I lucked out and got an ENGLISH older Battenkill LA "I" (3" diameter) for my LL 2 weight and it is perfect.
That's what I use on my 3wt, but it's a new one!
The Battenkill Large Arbor 1 is also a 3" diameter and weighs 3.9oz.
I got a black reel. It's a wonderful, light reel.

- Dylan