The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 11:08 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Nymphs v. Soft Hackles

Dave Hughes book is excellent!

I had a nice progression in reading which probably explains my commitment to soft hackles and wet flies. The first book I read, a few years ago, was a copy of "The Art of Tying The Wet Fly & Fishing the Flymph" by James Leisenring and Vernon Hidy - not a bad start! - the next book I picked up was "The Soft-Hackled Fly and Tiny Soft Hackles" by Sylvester Nemes. It was written several decades after the Leisenring/Hidy book and added greatly to what I learned in the first. Finally, I purchased Dave Hughes "Wet Flies", written about 20 years after the Nemes book. It tied together the first two and expanded on both in patterns and tying as well as fishing techniques. I've also used Allen McGees "Tying and Fishing Soft Hackle Nymphs". McGees book is great for opening up the door to new soft hackle patterns.

I enjoyed them all, but IF you can only get one, I would recommend Hughes "Wet Flies". It's comprehensive, up to date and pretty much covers everything you'll see in the first two.

A DVD I really enjoyed was by Oliver Edwards on fishing the wet fly (shipped from England but readily attainable online). It was filmed on the English chalk streams and Edwards fishes primarily with W.C. Stewarts spider patterns, in the upstream style. He also demonstrates tying several traditional soft hackle patterns. And now, of course, Joni has me yearning for the Davy Wooten video.

So see......even though wet flies and soft hackles may not get the press that dry flies and standard nymphs get, there's a lot of really good information out there! And seriously, if you tweak your presentation a little, you could darn well fish them all the time.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'll jump in on this one, provided we set the due date far enough out. (baby cuts into tying time and all) I'll tie up the soft hackle I keep raving about and can't manage to get a good picture of.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Holy smokes! Cliffie is joining a fly swap......wahoo!
Old 12-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I did one a while back, but that's been quite a while i think.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:36 PM

Whizzer is on a distinguished road

i'll keep my eye put for the swap. would like to get in on it if there's room

steve
Old 12-28-2008, 05:44 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

John, everyone if foaming at the bit for this swap...can you start a sign-up thread now?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:54 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

One last thought, most soft hackles don't have a tail so I sort of think of them as a caddis. If the hackle is sparse it sort of suggests legs, antennae, etc.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:53 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

I will start a sign up thread for the swap.

John
Old 12-31-2008, 08:55 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

Cliff, I understand about the lack of time due to a baby. We had one in June. How long would you need to tie for the swap?

John
Old 01-01-2009, 03:01 AM

Douglas Wesson is on a distinguished road

Soft hackles are probably my favorite b/c in my mind they are the most versatile. As others have said you can fish them as a nymph, emeger or even put on a little floatant on them and fish them just below the surface. Don't ever be afraid of trying something new or experimenting, thats how I came across a little floatant on a wet fly.
My usual routine is to do a dead drift as far as I can and then let the fly come up and swing. Just like grease line for steelhead, at the end of the swing let the fly stay there for a little bit. The tough part here, well at least for me, is to get a good hook up with a dead down river stike.

Enjoy the process and tight lines