The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   New Year Hopes and Dreams (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/7038-new-year-hopes-dreams.html)

mikeo 12-26-2008 09:56 AM

New Year Hopes and Dreams

At this time of year I think most of us reflect on the year nearly past. And some of us are even making New Year's Resolutions -- or at least plans for the next season of fly fishing. For at least some of us may think they're unlucky enough to live in places where there are only certain times of the year that they can wet a line (are there really such places I wonder as I get set to go out steelheading on this Boxing Day up here in the Great White North?!?!?). Or even worse some may think that fly fishing is only possible for trout and don't know what to do with the season now closed (of course this too causes me to wonder: aren't steelhead trout?!?!? and there are places even up here where one can throw out a fly line for trout at any time of year, right?!?!?). But I digress since the point I wanted to make that at this time of year (despite the possible cold weather and snow) we can all start to make plans -- and to hope and to dream.

Anybody care to share their hopes and dreams for the upcoming year????

randyflycaster 12-26-2008 10:37 AM

Re: New Year Hopes and Dreams

To stay in the moment - not my resentments - and enjoy wherever I fish.

Randy

mikeo 12-26-2008 10:44 AM

For me it is to get my FFF certification -- to travel a bit with fly rod in hand -- to try to get out on the water as much as I can (hopefully with some of the folks from this forum) -- to try to get more kids (and their families) turned onto our sport.

randyflycaster 12-26-2008 12:51 PM

P.S. Forgot to add, maybe because right now it's so, so out-of-reach: a very good bamboo rod.

Randy

Still pursuing the techniques and spirituality of an ideal cast.
The Fly And Spin Casting Site

mikeo 12-28-2008 10:44 AM

I just was listening to one of those year-end shows they do at this time of year -- recapping all the turmoil, war, and bleak economic situations from the year nearly past -- and I realized that I'm thankful for all the simple things that life can bring us -- for me (despite a year of highs and lows -- sometimes too many lows to really want to think about), those simple pleasures have usually been with a fly rod in hand -- just being out on the water taking in the amazing natural surroundings -- the sounds of rushing water or bird songs or just the wind in the trees -- the chance to see wildlife -- the rise of a trout to my fly -- the rhythm of casting a fly rod -- taking the time to turn over a few rocks in the stream trying to match the hatch -- taking the time to tie flies to replicate that hatch -- the companionship shared with fishing buddies -- the peace and contentment, the calming effect of all that fly fishing offers -- and that others in the world take up this fine sport (even if it does mean some places I fish tend to get a bit more crowded)

OldMan 12-28-2008 11:14 AM

I want to continue to enjoy my time on a stream, and explore to find more.

If I continue to have a silly grin on my face all day. I know i'm doing the right thing to be happy.

This year will be an experiment for me. I've bought a longer faster rod to fish bigger waters. I'll split my time between using that rod on bigger waters, and using a shorter cane rod on small streams.

Whichever one gives me the most grins at the end of the year will be what I stick too. I'll be real surprised if the cane on small streams doesn't win, but I have an open mind to change if it works out that way.

FlyRichardFly 12-28-2008 11:30 PM

This year has been a record breaking year for me!!
Striped bass in the surf with a 8wt.
Smallmouth wading with a 6wt.
Trout in all the beautiful streams in central PA with a 3wt.
All were a wonderful way to spend my life.
This year, 09, will be the best year of my life...... I can feel it.
I am in a position now to go fishing every day if I want to.
I love to tie flies at night..... and I hate to brag, but I'm really getting good at tying.
I've done everything that life has to offer..... and I am convinced that fishing is the best that life has to offer.
Cold weather, no prob!! Stripers migrate down the coast Nov to Feb. Steelheads bite great from Nov to Feb. And my fav bite all year long... Trout!!
I simply love to catch little trout with snow on the ground.
My resolution is: Full speed ahead!! I put flyfishing first... if I have time for something else, well maybe I'll do it.... but not if it takes time away from my fishing!!

Troutwhisperer 12-29-2008 10:18 PM

I would love to catch my first brown trout this coming year. i have caught every trout in montana except a golden trout and a brown. My dad had to wait 31 years to catch his first brown and my grandpa was no different. (give or take 3 years.:confused:)

maybe its just a family curse.