The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   How to store line/backing/leader when not in use? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/7047-how-store-line-backing-leader-when-not-use.html)

smog7 12-26-2008 09:28 PM

How to store line/backing/leader when not in use?

I was recently given a 6wt 9ft cabelas three forks fly fishing setup. I set up my line with all of the necessary knots, but now I am wondering if it is ok to leave the backing, line, and leader on the reel. It seems like an awful lot of work to have to remove the line after every fishing trip, so i'm guessing that this is the way to do it?

Hardyreels 12-26-2008 09:48 PM

Re: How to store line/backing/leader when not in use?

Smog,

To quote the immortal Hunter S. Thompson, "I can't recommend it for everyone but it has always worked for me".

I have a whole pile of reels with the line and backing on board just waiting for Spring Breakup.

Ard

Fly2Fish 12-26-2008 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smog7 (Post 42674)
I was recently given a 6wt 9ft cabelas three forks fly fishing setup. I set up my line with all of the necessary knots, but now I am wondering if it is ok to leave the backing, line, and leader on the reel. It seems like an awful lot of work to have to remove the line after every fishing trip, so i'm guessing that this is the way to do it?

Hi, Smog7,

Yes, it's fine to leave the backing, line and leader on the reel. Some fly-fishermen remove the line at the end of the season when they clean and treat it, then re-wind it off the spool in large loops to avoid "line memory", but in my experience, good quality modern lines really don't need that, as mild stretching of the line when you first use it again in the spring will generally get rid of most of the "line memory effect". When you store your line off-season, whether on or off reel, it's best to keep it out of strong sunlight and extremes in temperature.

Hope that helps . . .

smog7 12-26-2008 09:52 PM

thanks for the tips/info. now I just need to practice my cast and get on the water

Hardyreels 12-26-2008 10:05 PM

Fly,

Sunlight! What sunlight? You mean there's strong sunlight somewhere? I just parked the plow and I haven't seen strong sunlight for months!

Let's be considerate of those who are sunlight deprived and not make direct reference to it.

Fly2Fish 12-26-2008 10:28 PM

Ard,

Yeah, we need that sunlight once in a while to burn off the Gulf Coast mold (some people think it's tan, but we know better:wink:). Unfortunately, it usually occurs at the wrong time, like Christmas day when it should be snowing.

Hardyreels 12-26-2008 10:41 PM

We didn't have that problem here in Maverick-ville. Got 13 - 14 inches of it from yesterday till this morning.