The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 09:28 PM

smog7 will become famous soon enough
Default How to store line/backing/leader when not in use?

I was recently given a 6wt 9ft cabelas three forks fly fishing setup. I set up my line with all of the necessary knots, but now I am wondering if it is ok to leave the backing, line, and leader on the reel. It seems like an awful lot of work to have to remove the line after every fishing trip, so i'm guessing that this is the way to do it?
Old 12-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: How to store line/backing/leader when not in use?

Smog,

To quote the immortal Hunter S. Thompson, "I can't recommend it for everyone but it has always worked for me".

I have a whole pile of reels with the line and backing on board just waiting for Spring Breakup.

Ard
Old 12-26-2008, 09:48 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog7 View Post
I was recently given a 6wt 9ft cabelas three forks fly fishing setup. I set up my line with all of the necessary knots, but now I am wondering if it is ok to leave the backing, line, and leader on the reel. It seems like an awful lot of work to have to remove the line after every fishing trip, so i'm guessing that this is the way to do it?
Hi, Smog7,

Yes, it's fine to leave the backing, line and leader on the reel. Some fly-fishermen remove the line at the end of the season when they clean and treat it, then re-wind it off the spool in large loops to avoid "line memory", but in my experience, good quality modern lines really don't need that, as mild stretching of the line when you first use it again in the spring will generally get rid of most of the "line memory effect". When you store your line off-season, whether on or off reel, it's best to keep it out of strong sunlight and extremes in temperature.

Hope that helps . . .
Old 12-26-2008, 09:52 PM

smog7 will become famous soon enough

thanks for the tips/info. now I just need to practice my cast and get on the water
Old 12-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Fly,

Sunlight! What sunlight? You mean there's strong sunlight somewhere? I just parked the plow and I haven't seen strong sunlight for months!

Let's be considerate of those who are sunlight deprived and not make direct reference to it.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:28 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Ard,

Yeah, we need that sunlight once in a while to burn off the Gulf Coast mold (some people think it's tan, but we know better). Unfortunately, it usually occurs at the wrong time, like Christmas day when it should be snowing.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Administrator

We didn't have that problem here in Maverick-ville. Got 13 - 14 inches of it from yesterday till this morning.