The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 05:53 PM

kerryssz is on a distinguished road
Default Carp Fishing

I can't wait for spring time. Want to try fishing for carp, seems like that would be a lot of fun catching those monsters! Any ideas on what kind of fly I would catch'em? I heard mulberry pattern works great.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:35 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Carp Fishing

there are all kinds of flies that will catch carp, and yes they are fun. As spooky as bone's on the flats and harder fighting then any trout or bass ever thought about being. When the are sucking cotton tree seeds of teh surface small light cahill's work great or a cdc white puff fly. When they are tailing on mud flats mnay nymps patterns like 12-10 pheasenttails and demsial fly nymphs, crawfish patterns even red or brwon worm patterns. Check out cabelas dot com and type carp fly fishing into google you'll find all kinds of patterns. make sure you have a good reel with a good drag and pleanty of backing if you may hook into anything bigger then 3 or 4 lbs. Good luck and be patient when fishing carp, also try rope flies for gar thats fun to.
Bear
Old 12-31-2008, 04:06 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Go to cabelas dot com and type in carp flies, they have a kit with or with out a book on carp fishing with a flyrod.
Bear
Old 01-01-2009, 10:13 AM

kerryssz is on a distinguished road

thanks bear.I just saw those. looks like they like brown colors.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:50 AM

No problem, yeah anything brown and slow on the bottom will work. If you have an area where mullberry trees over hang a lake, wine or similer colored chenille wound around a hook like a berry works great to whne the berries rippen and fall into the water. However you catch them they are a ball on a flyrod for sure.
happy new year
Bear
Old 01-01-2009, 01:27 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

Kerry,
Carp feed on all kinds of things. You will need to take a look around the area your local carp haunt. We have carp in my home area that live in rivers, lakes and ponds. They all key in on differnt food items and they will change from time to time what they like to eat. Carp can be very challenging to catch at times, but well worth the effort to fiqure them out.

For instance the carp in the Headwaters of the Missouri river primarily hang out in shallow flats and they stick their heads in between the rocks and root out crayfish, dragon fly nymphs as well as some caddis and mayflies. When I fish the Mo it is all sight fishing and you have to cast to the fish that have their heads down stirring up the bottom, ie mudding, as these are the fish that are actively feeding. The carp that I see sitting stationary and not mudding are very rarely hooked when I am out fishing for them. I also find carp on occassion on the MO that are sitting in deep holes that have an eddy that is collecting foam and insects that get swept into it. We have one hole called the "Hoover Hole" where hundreds of carp will be feeding off the surface and picking insects out of the foam in the eddy. I have seen the carp key in on BWO hatches, Hoppers, Ants, Beetles, Cicada's and caddis hatches all on the surface.

I also fish for the carp on Canyon Ferry Reservoir which is the first major dam on the Missouri river. The carp in the lake, even though many of them migrate up the river feed differently in the still water than they do on the moving water. I do have luck matching the hatch with Callibaetis and sedge patterns when bugs are hatching on the lake. They also can be suckers for hoppers in the later part of summer and fishing a hopper with a dropper can be very good when the time is right. Most of the time however I spend time finding large groups of carp and fishing to fish on the edges of the group. I usually very slowly strip leech or crayfish patterns in front of them. Carp won't typically move long distances to get a fly so you have to think about your approach and make a cast near them without spooking them, it makes the spookiest bonefish look easy sometimes.

I haven't spent any time fishing carp in warmer climates so as far as using mulberries, cottonseeds and the like I will have to leave that to another carp fanatitic. I do believe that if you find what the main food source for your local carp are you should be able to find an approach to present that meal to them.

If carp moved a bit more on a fly, such as a bonefish or other flats fish I probably would spend a lot less time on the world class trout waters I live so close to and spend most of my time fishing for the carp. Good luck and have fun fiquring out your local carp.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE them Carp...in fact, I am a CARPAHOLIC and proud of it.
I am going to recommend RAINY'S

Rainy’sŪ Signature Carp Collection (FL913)

the HEX and the CORN BALL worked killer for me on the river "and" GRASS carp, plus MIRROR carp in stillwater!
Old 01-01-2009, 04:09 PM

mikeo will become famous soon enough

Might be worth your while checking out this recording of podcast made in January 2006 on Fly Fish Radio (from Utah like Joni), Fly Fish Radio - The original podcast for flyfish anglers, on Ian Colin James who's affectionately known as the Carpfather -- besides Ian's funny!!!!
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach
Old 01-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Mike, are you saying that you are from Utah? I'm a fellow Utahn also.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 01-02-2009, 03:14 PM

mikeo will become famous soon enough

No not saying I'm from Utah (although I have fished there) -- just giving link to podcast originating from Utah (which is where Joni is from too)
"Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach