The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 11:41 PM

roryseiter will become famous soon enoughroryseiter will become famous soon enough
Default Should I have interfered?

So I was riding my bike past an irrigation ditch/stream/tiny body of water and I noticed a couple of fish. Someone had diverted the flow of water so their backs were sticking out. The water wasn't moving and the water looked like mud. I assumed they were carp until I took a closer look. I thought it might be some Brown Trout spawning and I should leave them alone and hope for the best.
My girlfriend yelled at me "you harass fish 300 days a year, this is your one chance to do something nice for them!" So I went home, got a bucket and a net, captured what turned out to be a big Rainbow and a Brown, and released them into some cool clear water about a couple miles away.

Was I being selfish? (I did go to the clear water the next day, rod in hand, but didn't see them.) Should I have not messed with them and let them die?

There are already Rainbows and Browns in their new water home so I wasn't introducing a new species.

What would you have done?

This is the picture of one of the fish. The ditch behind me is where it was dying.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:59 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Should I have interfered?

If I thought they were stranded or would soon be stranded by reduced flow I would do the same thing. I have rescued many fish that had been trapped in little more than stream side puddles when water levels receded.

Good with me Rory,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-12-2010, 05:11 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

i think you did the right thing. I would have done that too

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:43 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Indeed brother, you performed an exemplary deed..... Consider your hand shook........

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 11-12-2010, 08:54 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Good on you dude!! Well done indeed! You got some karma fish headed your way!
Old 11-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Right on!

Larry
Old 11-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Very cool, nice job. Good kharma for sure.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:36 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well played, sir. In the rivers around southeast Idaho we encounter this problem often. As the South Fork of the Snake River drops its flows from Summer of around 10 to 12,000 cfs to Winter flows of around 2,000 cfs, a lot of the side channels dry up stranding numerous trout. Our local club, Snake River Cutthroats, gathers often to do a fish rescue/salvage in order to get stranded trout back into the main flows.

Another problem we have in this area is that of unrestricted flows into irrigation diversions that allow far too many trout into foreign reaches that dry up as the agricultural season dries up. Many fish are lost to this practice. One channel that leaves the South Fork of the Snake River is called the Great Feeder canal or Dry Bed (as big as a medium sized river anywhere else). It flows nearly year 'round. "Nearly" is the key word, as in April they shut off the flow for about 3 to 4 weeks in order to clear debris at headgates and such. The Idaho Fish & Game opens the fishing season for unlimited harvest along this canal and many, many trout are lost to this practice.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to make a difference, well done.

Kelly.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:18 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Years back, I was steelhead fishing. I came across a stringer w/ 2 steelies on it. I checked and they were alive. I walked the stream up and dowen for over 100 yards asking if they belonged to someone and they forgot. No one claimed them. So some time later, I decide to leave and was the only one there. Honestly, I did consider taking them. But, instead I released them and walked them swim away. You have done the proper thing.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Well done!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.