The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 05:33 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Czech Nymphing - Flyfishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Czech/Polish nymphing is nymphing, highsticking is nymphing of a different sort. Nymphing with an indicator(and to you smart asses "bobber") is nymphing. Still the same-it's all flyfishing. Look it up in your state proclamation.
Yes, maybe no "casting" skills in that type of fishing, but you do have to know what you're doing to Czech or Polish nymph. So I would say you have to have some type of skill to catch fish.
Agreed
Old 12-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Neither require a BOBBER/INDICATOR...that is the beauty.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:08 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Czech/Polish nymphing is nymphing, highsticking is nymphing of a different sort. Nymphing with an indicator(and to you smart asses "bobber") is nymphing. Still the same-it's all flyfishing. Look it up in your state proclamation.
Yes, maybe no "casting" skills in that type of fishing, but you do have to know what you're doing to Czech or Polish nymph. So I would say you have to have some type of skill to catch fish.
I think you and Joni in PM's have missed my point completely. The topic of the thread is Czech nymphing, legal or not? I pointed out that Czech nymphing and high stick nymphing are similar enough that if one was illegal, then the other one would be too. With the exception of the number of flies used.

I said nothing about whether you needed skills, or what skills it took. I said it didn't need any casting skills, and it doesn't because..well.. you don't cast. I think casting a fly rod is the most fun in fly fishing. So, for me, that type of nymphing may produce lots of fish, but I don't find it that much fun.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:50 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
I think you and Joni in PM's have missed my point completely. The topic of the thread is Czech nymphing, legal or not? I pointed out that Czech nymphing and high stick nymphing are similar enough that if one was illegal, then the other one would be too. With the exception of the number of flies used.

I said nothing about whether you needed skills, or what skills it took. I said it didn't need any casting skills, and it doesn't because..well.. you don't cast. I think casting a fly rod is the most fun in fly fishing. So, for me, that type of nymphing may produce lots of fish, but I don't find it that much fun.
Pete, for the first time I agreed with you. I know it doesn't take any "casting skills" and that's what I said. Please re-read it. I said it takes skills to C/P nymph. It's not that easy. I just re-interated, that- high sticking, nymphing with an indicator/bobber, and C/P nymphing is-NYMPHING. "Still the same-it's all flyfishing. Look it up in your state proclamation"
Nymphing is not one of my favorite ways to fish. I prefer dry fly's 100:1 but, when there's no takers on the surface, I go sub surface, WD's, wets,
and finally, nymphs.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:59 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Let's mark this moment in history.

We agree.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:12 PM

Whizzer is on a distinguished road

A quick thank you for the responses. I feel better already!

Fly2Fish - I only get down to the San Juan a couple of times a year, and I have never CN’ed there at all. I will make a note to try it this year. If I get in trouble I’ll tell them you said it was OK!!

Old Man - you are right, they had a problem with the 3 fly set up. I checked with F&G about that some time ago and it is legal in our state and is in fact considered FF. The no casting thing was a problem too. I believe broomstick and string were mentioned a few times! Actually, I did cast a few times. 6 - 8ft of fly line. It’s a bit scary with all that “stuff” hangin’ out there. I agree with you about the casting. It does make FF more fun. I enjoy the challenge of getting a bug in the right place via the cast. CNing isn’t something I want to use a whole lot. It is a nice tool to have at hand though.

Joni - you were correct about using bigger nymphs. Gonna tie me up some of those #4, and # 3 bad boys before I try it again. Got my old gram scale out and ready to go. Don’t know what that residue is!!

A few notes on what I discovered about CNing in the cold. Freezing line guides is not much of a problem. Mending is eliminated and that makes nymphing a lot easier(for me). With the line relatively taught all the time, detecting the take is easier and the hook set is almost automatic. Almost!! Changing patterns is a pain in the butt! I tied up several rigs before I left home and had a large enough loop to loop braided indicator that I could change rigs pretty quickly on the river. The time from hook up to landing is short. Good for the fish and good for the fisherman. Fighting the fish is really different when you don’t have much line out, but since you can use heavier tippet 3 or 4X and a braided leader you can turn a fish more easily without fear of breaking the fish off. Of course I had a lot more “early” releases than normal. Gotta work on that a bit!! All things considered I had a good day fishing, and now that my head is a bit more together I’ll probably give it another shot this winter.

Again, thank you all!

Steve
Old 12-29-2008, 11:23 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

I agree......and I learned a lot from this thread.......perception; attitude and where people draw the line. And, kudos to Whizzer.....nice way to end the thread!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I am just curious.....are you using a LONG STICK for this? I bought a 10' five weight for this purpose.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

You're always gonna have folks who want to enforce their personal definition of what exactly is fly fishing. For some its only a dry fly and floating line cast directly upstream on a bamboo rod, for others its not quite so rigid/orthodox.

The folks that couldn't see exactly how you were fishing might have thought you were a pinner fishing with spawn sacs and thats why you were whoopin them on the catch numbers. The motions look somewhat similar to Czech Nymphing from a ways off.

The rules in most areas put fly and lure fishing in the same category because there are situations where the lines get blurred. The line that is not blurred is that neither involve bait. Here's what can get blurry: I think if the weight of your flies or shot on the leader is what is propelling the hook(s) to the lie rather than the weight of the fly line combined with a casting stroke, you are no longer technically fly fishing. (that said, on my last outing, i might have only been "fly-fishing" 2/3s of the time)

I don't abstain from any techniques because they don't seem like pure fly-fishing. I actually greatly enjoy high stick nymphing with a "bobber". Its faster action than most, you don't have to keep flies dry, fish 7x on 24s, etc. However, even on a single day on the river, its not all I want to do. I like to fish dries, emergers, and wets all in the same day. The high sticking just adds in a little overdriven guitar to a mostly easy-listening day in the woods.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:24 AM

Does it seem that the US puts all these rules to FF? I mean Polish/Czech Nymphing has been going on for year. And the English were fishing NYMPHS ONLY for years.
Were we the first to come up with BAIT FISH imitations, or San Juan Worm, or Eggs?
Flies that were used for salt water fish, now working their way inland and doing quite well.