The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Czech Nymphing - Flyfishing?

I never imagined that there would possibly be such a discussion on this and frankly it makes me wonder if I even want to join the local fly fishing club, because it doesn't matter what kind of club you join there is always a group of people that attempt to manipulate everyone else into live by their opinions, preferences and convictions. Much the same as religion and politics.

Frankly, because the direction this turned I'm not even going to give my opinion except to say that if it is legal in your state and you enjoy it and want to do something do it without considering what others think about it. If it were me those guys were talking to I'd have given handed them my cell phone and give them the number to Cal-Tip to turn me into the CA. DFG. Then after they were done turned around and continued fishing.

Frankly I greatly enjoy High Stick nymphing as is done in Northern California on the Upper Sacramento and McCloud and other rivers which is a variation of Czech nymphing. I also enjoy Streamer, and Dry Fly fishing just as much.

If you think about at least in my opinion and I have no interest who does or doesn't agree with me if Czech nymphing or High Sticking is unfair then so is all fly fishing, because we study the fish and their natural food sources and than trick them by using flies that imitate those food sources far more effectively than other method of fishing with a rod in hand.

My first day with a fly rod in hand I landed over 25 fish and I wasn't any good at it. Matter of fact I've never been skunked when fly fishing and know I have never fly fished in places where trout are being planted.

To me saying Czech nymphing isn't fly fishing is about as rediculous as saying still water fishing with a fly rod isn't fly fishing, because I do not like it.

If you have a fly rod in hand and are using flies to catch fish don't let anyone tell you that you are not fly fishing.

Aways familliarize yourself with state and local regulations and fish within them.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 08-18-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:12 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Do not beat yourself up about this. You were flyfishing and doing well and they just couldn't stand that. I have a very good friend that loves the dry fly more than anything so that's what he does, but he doesn't deride me or others when we fish subsurface and do all the catching.

Here's one for all of you out there - spinning rod, fly and a clear bubble half filled with water for distance on the cast. Fly is greased up to float or it might be a Bugger or some such - still fly fishing? Hmmm...

Kelly
Old 08-18-2010, 11:38 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Here's one for all of you out there - spinning rod, fly and a clear bubble half filled with water for distance on the cast. Fly is greased up to float or it might be a Bugger or some such - still fly fishing? Hmmm...

Kelly

This is how I have fished for trout my whole life until recently when I picked up a fly rod.

My grandfather fished this way and taught it to his kids and my father taught me. we don't use a spinning reel however since the white mountains of AZ are VERY windy and my grandfather hated the spinning reel tangles so he started using an Abu Garcia Abumatic 170 Spincast and that became the prized family reel until they discontinued it. I was very excited when they brought it back and bought a new one just a few months ago before I got into fly fishing.

I wouldn't call it Fly Fishing though I do call it fun. I have caught lots of fish dragging a woolly worm behind a casting bubble.

Last edited by mudbug; 08-18-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:54 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

MudBug, isn't it fun to remember our past and our roots. My father and grandfather introduced me to fishing with a fly and a bubble and that's what I taught my sons before they could wave a fly rod with any consistency.

Mine was the old Mitchell 300 and it did the job.

(Sorry for the thread hijac...)

kelly