The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 10:45 PM

Whizzer is on a distinguished road
Default Czech Nymphing - Flyfishing?

Well, I gave czech nymphing a good workout Dec 24th at a local tail water fishery. I have used the technique(sort of!) several times in the past at my favorite local hot spots and have always done well with it. Lately, I have been researching the technique extensively ( I really need to get a life!). A local fly shop had a tier in who put on a great presentation on the technique and the flies he uses in our area. Armed with the info gleaned from various sources, and a whole bunch of leaders and flies i tied and built (no small task for a noob tier!!) i headed to the local tail water area. No one there! Woo-Hoo!! i won't completely embarrass myself! The fishing was awesome! Nothing huge, but lots of real nice browns. Fished for about 5 hours and landed over 30 fish. That’s a great day for me. The czech technique worked great. I was really gettin’ into it.

Not too long after I started fishing other fisherman showed up and after a while it was getting a bit crowded. That’s to be expected in this area as there is not a bunch of open water. Most of the other folks were not doing well at all and I was doing great. Soon one of the other fisherman came over to czech out what the hell I was doing. I showed him and offered him the rig. He took it, got the hang of it quickly and soon had landed a couple of fish. I gave him a leader and a few nymphs and he gave me a bunch of midges and off he went. With in 10 minutes a couple of other fisherman showed up and began chewing my butt!

The area is a quality water, Fly and lure, catch and release fishing only. They told me that what I was doing was not legal in this area. I politely argued the point, but they were persistant, and loud!! I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle and moved well downstream. Still caught a bunch of fish though! Before entering the new water I talked to three of the folks that were closest to my new spot and explained what I was going to do. They thought it was definitely legal, but they really didn’t think it was kosher. Not really fly fishing was the main complaint. I fished a while longer, but my heart was no longer in it. So I hit the bricks.

The 50 minute ride home gave me time to reflect. Know what, I found myself agreeing with those folks. I know it is legal. I know that is a great way to catch a bunch of fish quickly. I just don’t think it can be categorized as fly fishing in the true sense of the word.

I’ve been beating myself up over it for the past few days. I somehow feel like I cheated. I will place the technique in my memory bank, but don’t know if I will mess with it again til I can get my head around the issues involved.

I’m new here, but I think this is a perfect place for a discussion of Czech nymphing and it’s place in flyfishing in general. What do you folks think? Is it fly fishing. Is it for tournaments only? Are those who use it no better than dredgers(a term I got from some green river guides) ?

Any input appreciated
Happy New Yera to everyone

Steve
Old 12-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Czech Nymphing - Flyfishing?

What? Let me get this straight. You put on a longer than normal leader, a few very heavy flies (two is the limit here) drop them in a deep current and lead them down the river.
But you make the flies out of synthetics, or fur, you are using a leader, fly line and a rod and reel, and fishing a style that has been around for years although new to the US.
To me, to think this is not fly fishing you would have to include streamers, San Juan Worm, eggs (bead or Glowbug) and specially deep nymphing with a floating line and an indicator.

Must be just me, but I think it is all fly fishing. Maybe not Traditional, but I guess I am not a traditionalist.

I say RIGHT ON and good job.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:09 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Czech Nymphing - Flyfishing?

What you're doing is the standard for fly-fishing on the San Juan in the "quality" C & R zone, i.e., an attractor fly and a dropper fly following - usually a wet/nymph. Sometimes the attractor fly is a dry and used as an indicator; other times a separate indicator is used, especially if the attractor fly is also a wet fly/nymph.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:53 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

To many folks worry TO damn much what other folks are doing. If you were useing two small trebles on your fly rod and snagging fish then yeah I can see them hollering, most just figure its easy to holler and ***** about what they dont know then to take the time to learn about it.
People really **** me off. If Unless you were floating a worm in a fly only aera thye should just mind their own. Dont back down if you know your in the right from now on man, stand your ground. The only time a two fly rig is bad is when the fish are stacked in water and you fowl hook alot, other then that, fish on.
Keep at 'em
Bear
Old 12-29-2008, 05:07 AM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough

Those 2 guys should be ignored, it came down to jealousy and snobbery and that is why they said what they said.
I fish all fly fishing methods and although i rarely fish the czech nymph i do on occasion.
My friend is an international fly fisherman and fishes for England on occasion, i watch him and when nothing is rising he uses the nymph to great effect, but switches to the dry in an instant, also to great effect, both methods are legal and involve fly casting, so as i said before, they were snobs who haven't moved with the times.
Happy new year.
Richard
Old 12-29-2008, 05:23 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

P.S.
Next time they say your doing something wrong and you know your in the right tell them to call the conservation officer for the area and shut the hell up in the mean time.
Bear
Old 12-29-2008, 07:12 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

As I see it fly fishing, and fishing in general, is about figuring out what's going to work on any given day to catch fish. If drifting drys, or swinging streamers doesn't work, why not do what does? Why do we carry different flies, leaders, tippet, etc? Because the same method or fly isn't going to work every day. Conditions change, and fly fishers need to change to..........accommodate change. You helped one guy out who was willing to allow you to. He had fun as a result. That should make you feel some satisfaction. I'm also sure that guy is thanking you every time he uses what you showed him. Two guys were not willing to accept your help and have rained on your fun and success. Let them wallow in their lack of success. Bottom line, you went to catch fish and have fun. You did. Good for you.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:16 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Czech nymping uses three heavily weighted flies. What was their argument with you? Heavy flies, or three flies? Using three flies in some areas might have some merit, but i'm not sure of that.

Other than that, you're basically high sticking with weighted nymphs. You use the weight in the flies instead of lead weight, and you keep a tight line instead of a bobber. That's hardly a reason to call it cheating. If high sticking is legal. Czech nymphing should be too.

On a personal note. I hate that type of fishing. It works, but there's no casting skills needed, and that's half the fun of fly fishing for me.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:11 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Whizzer
I agree with everyone else who posted. It sounds like those guys were just sour grapes. You caught fish & they didn't so you were cheating. If you weren't using more than the total allowed number of flies you were just close nymphing. Didn't Swiebert describe Czech Nymping in one of his books 30 yrs. ago. I think he called it Close Nymphing & used the Liesinsing ( or something like that ) lift...He just used different fly styles but the fishing style was the same as I remember.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:25 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
Czech nymping uses three heavily weighted flies. What was their argument with you? Heavy flies, or three flies? Using three flies in some areas might have some merit, but i'm not sure of that.

Other than that, you're basically high sticking with weighted nymphs. You use the weight in the flies instead of lead weight, and you keep a tight line instead of a bobber. That's hardly a reason to call it cheating. If high sticking is legal. Czech nymphing should be too.

On a personal note. I hate that type of fishing. It works, but there's no casting skills needed, and that's half the fun of fly fishing for me.
Czech/Polish nymphing is nymphing, highsticking is nymphing of a different sort. Nymphing with an indicator(and to you smart asses "bobber") is nymphing. Still the same-it's all flyfishing. Look it up in your state proclamation.
Yes, maybe no "casting" skills in that type of fishing, but you do have to know what you're doing to Czech or Polish nymph. So I would say you have to have some type of skill to catch fish.