The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 11:36 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough
Default How hot are nylon waders?

I am looking to invest in a pair of chest waders and was looking at both the breathables and nylon. I have heard that either way you going to be hot so it comes down to a price issue. Do I spend $100-$150 on breathables or can I get away with a pair of $50 nylon ones?
Old 12-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How hot are nylon waders?

I am not familiar with NYLON
I do have waders (Orvis) that are Polyester and nylon layers for wicking.
Breathables...they are all about what you wear underneath.

I did have some bootless hippers at one time that very well could have been nylon and yes, they got warm. They didn't really breath.
I think you need the layers like I said

Now Simms have NO nylon that I am aware of, just Gortex, maybe they are even cooler, because they don't have it.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:41 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Breathable are the way to go, ya ever heard the saying you get what you pay for? I have duck huntetd and flyfished 20 some odd years and have had waders in about every thing they have been made from, the breathables I have now rock, I still wear nyoprens if its real cold, but for day in day out I wear my breatables. Like Joni said its all about what you wear under them. If it cold out I wear long underwear and fleece wading pants, if its warm I wear jeans and if its hot I wear shorts or light fishing pants like they wear alot in florida and places. I have also found the kind that you buy boots seperat are great, they give your ankles much more suaport and I have a couple difrent kinds of boots one for mud and one for rocks. One more thing buy the kind with the gravel guard built in, much easier.
Bear
Old 12-29-2008, 08:22 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

I'm sure you won't be happy with $50 waders.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a pair of older pre-breathable 'featherlite' waders that I wear often
If you don't go on any 'death marches' they're quite comfortable.
When the weather heats up and water levels drop I'll switch to a pair of hippers or wade wet.
I"ll wear my breathables when I know that there will be a lot of walking involved, but otherwise, and especially in areas where there's a lot of briars and such, I'll wear the nylon waders....they will take a lot more abuse
Old 12-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

One more thing at risk of sounding like a broken record......do NOT wear COTTON underneath.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:01 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I have been wearing Hodgman Wadelites for the past 6 years.
Both developed leaks at the end of this summer, and we bought two more
pairs of the same model. Cabelas had them on over the summer for $80, but
we bought them locally for $100. They are breathable, and make my non-breathable hippers seem unbearably hot.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:52 AM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
One more thing at risk of sounding like a broken record......do NOT wear COTTON underneath.
You never wear Cotton as a base layer in cold or hot weather. Especially as socks.

Cabela's makes a $50 pair of waders. The Cabela's Three Forks 420-Denier Featherlight Chest Waders. They come in insulated and uninsulated, truthfully between those two there is not much of a difference besides a price. The insulated pair has a fleece lining in the boots. When ever a pair waders states that it has insulation it is only in the boots. A pair of Lacrosse Alpha sport 1200g waders had 1200g of thinsulation in the boots. Back to tbe three forks waders, if those are the waders you are thinking about getting online or something let me tell you something about them. The outside is 420-Denier nylon, the inside is lined with rubber. I personally dislike rubber lined or rubber waders I believe it defeats the purpose in warmer weather. I use a pair of breathable waders I use year round, I am actually going fly fishing in the Milwaukee River in WI next week where the air temp may be anywhere from 0-30 degress. Breathables are by far the most comfortable waders which is great for fly fishing. Staying warm in breathables depends on what you wear underneath. In the dead of winter I will wear polyester base layering with a pair of fleece pants over that, a sock liner with a heavy pair of wool socks or fleece socks. This keeps me warm in the water. If you are thinking about buying waders I would definitely look into buying Cabela's or another company with a lifetime warranty. All of Cabela's named products have a lifetime warranty.

If I had to choose between breathables and nylon waders I'd go with breathables. Brand wise, Cabela's is nice because of the lifetime warranty, if you could afford it go with Simms, it may seem overprice but they have the best service and warranty of any company. Patagonia makes wonderful waders but I wouldn't buy theres due to the fact they are overpriced in my opinion.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:02 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

As you can see the majority favor breathables. If you don't wear cotton & dress appropriately for the weather breathables are the way to go for almost year around comfort. In extreme cold I'll dig out the neopremes but they feel like I'm wearing a rubber band when I put my jacket on. Like MikeG said ,if you can go to a store that gives you a good warranty do it. I bought a pair of LL Beans that I had some problems with & they really went out of their way to get a new pair to me ASAP while I was on a fishing trip. Like anything you get what you pay for so go with best you can afford if you plan on using them with any frequency. I also like the Stocking Foot Waders because of the support the boots give. When you buy whatever wader you decide on, wear some heavier clothes when you try them on & go thru a full range of motion with them on. I.E. squats, high steps, stretches & the like. You don't want to find out they are too tight when you go to step over a high rock or climb up a steep bank.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:53 PM

EXCELLENT post to all, and FISHN50 great bringing up the pre dress try out. Something not to many think about till too late.
It might be even necessary to buy larger boots.