The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 09:16 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about
Default Introductions

As my new friend Joni requested, I'll introduce myself. I've been fly fishing for some 25 years, I consider myself an average angler. I tie my flies. In the past year, I've taken something of a step back. I bought an old Fenwick glass rod. I must admit I love it and found a new passion. I guess I secretly want to go back to when I started this fine sport. That's not all, I shopped around and found a 50 year old cedar canvas canoe to go with it. I guess it's like other things in life when you get on in years. You try to hold on to the things that meant something in your younger life. Enough of this sentimental c$*p. Now if I can only find a reel that would match that rod just right.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Introductions

Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:49 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Close enough. Welcome, there's a few that prefer glass to plastic here. Me, me, me, Joni, Pocono (I think he prefers glass) and Frank hates them.
BTW, what reel you looking for?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Right on, now we know where you are coming from, I agree 100% about the recapturing things from the past. Specially the ones I had no idea what I had.
I had one of the first Sage Discovery. Not a real expensive rod , but still at around $200. and this was pushing like 20 years.
The originals were AWESOME! the new ones are okay, but don't compare at all.
I traded several years after I bought it for something I thought was new and improved.....silly me!
Anyway, I am starting to collect the glass or I should say me and Mojo. Got quite the collection now.
Plus I got to brag a little that MOJO does build some beautiful GLASS RODS.
Nice have you here, sit back and stay awhile.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:31 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

What ever makes ya happy, go for it, and welcome to the group
Bear
Old 12-30-2008, 10:36 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Nice to have you here. That canoe sounds neat. Love to see a pic of an old wooden canoe.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:39 PM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum! I would like to see a picture of your canoe too! It does sound neat.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:15 AM

MontanaMoose will become famous soon enoughMontanaMoose will become famous soon enough

Welcome glassroddr, well I've got a couple of those old brown Fenwicks fly rods myself and I like the way they work too. I played with a few reels trying to balance my 8.5 ft for 5wt. 2pc Fenwick the way I like, and if you can get your hands on them, you might like a Pflueger 1495 (old one to keep the nostalagia going) or an Orvis Madison in a Model 9 (holds more backing and line) and is in most ways identical to the Pflueger 1495.

Another reel I tried was a Fly Logic 4/5/6 and though it balances the Fenwick 5wt. ok, it doesn't hold enough backing. It din't have the retro look I like on the Fenwicks either so went with the Orvis Madison. Oh, and I've used old automatics on it also. Those are fun and somewhat 'period'. Hope some of this helps and let us know what all glass you add to your arsenal over time !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
Old 12-31-2008, 05:51 AM

Thanks everyone. I haven't fished my other rods since that Fenwick got home. Just love the fact that you can play with the action by going up or down a line weight. It's rated a 5 or 6, but I like a 4 when fishing smaller flies in summer conditions. I tried it on sm bass on lakes around and it casts poppers and streamers just fine with a 6 wt. Anyways, Moose, those older Pfluegers would be nice on that rod. I would love an old CFO click & pawl but they are worth their weight in gold from what I can see.

I did have an early SA System 1 that would have looked good on it. You know the ones you couldn't tell apart from a Daiwa. Right now, I've got a newer SA that does a decent job. I'll try to find photos of that canoe for you guys, or else I'll have to dig it out of the snow, its on sawhorses behind the house. Mojo, if you have other suggestions for reels, I'd like to hear them.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:37 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The old TRADITIONAL Battenkill are a little heavier and they go for a great price. Those things are like BULL DOGS tuff as heck.