The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 07:10 AM

indieangler is on a distinguished road
Default Steelhead Rod

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a bigger and heavier rod to use for steelhead one day and just to have around because most of my other gear is pretty light. I'm looking at the new Scott A3 rods which seem to get good reviews and have a pretty reasonable price. I think I'm going to go with an 8wt rod for sure but I can't decide on the length. I've read threads where people use 9', 9'6", and 10' rods for steelhead and heavier fish. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best setup here? I've never fished a 10' rod and don't have any rods this long so I thought it might make for a nice addition but I've heard several people recommending 9'6" instead.

Any advice here? Thanks!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:37 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Steelhead Rod

I got a 9', 8 wt rod for steelhead. Two shops gave me the same advice re: rod length. If I was intending to use the rod strictly for steelhead, get a 9.5 or 10' rod. If I wanted to use the rod for other fishing, get the 9' rod. The added length of the longer rods is quite noticeable when casting.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:07 PM

thirdyearff is on a distinguished road

I generally use a 9' 7wt but recently used an 11' 7wt...for the puropses of steelhead fishing and running an indy rig i loved it. However, i couldn't see it used for much more than that...but thats just me.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:38 AM

indieangler is on a distinguished road

What if I wanted a rod that could double as a steelhead rod and a single handed salmon rod? Would a 10' #8 be suitable? I see lots of people recommending 9' #8 salmon rods so I'm not sure if the 10' is the way to go or not?
Old 01-02-2009, 03:09 AM

Douglas Wesson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq 5oh View Post
I got a 9', 8 wt rod for steelhead. Two shops gave me the same advice re: rod length. If I was intending to use the rod strictly for steelhead, get a 9.5 or 10' rod. If I wanted to use the rod for other fishing, get the 9' rod. The added length of the longer rods is quite noticeable when casting.
That is true until you reach 9', after that any rod longer than 9' gives you better line control and fighting ability, with the exception of spey rods. IMO another intragal part of any steelhead rod is a fighting butt. Even with a fighting butt my wrist is pretty sore after 5 steelies.

I use a 6 wt or 8 wt depending on time of year and water conditions. Both are 9'6" and makes for easier mending of the line.

I've watch my fishing partner land many steelhead on the Hood River & Deschutes, and some other not to be named Mid Columbia river gorge streams with a 10' 4 wt Sage. I can't believe he uses that rod for everything, but he does and he does it well-------lol, much to my jealousy.