The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 03:20 PM

Hennessy will become famous soon enough
Default Alaska Dennis get a big bonefish

Dennis Harms the owner of Alaska Trophy Outfitters caught a 6+lb bonefish yesterday and got spooled by a super pig that took all his backing down to the knot!! Crazy fish luckily at the end the tippet snapped and we got the fly line back. Yes a 10lb bonefish takes more line than a 30lb king in the first 5 seconds 200yds gone!!! we had over 30 shots at big fish

great fun and Happy New Year

Capt. Mike Hennessy
Hawaii Fly Fishing- Best Fishing in the Islands
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0435.jpg (95.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-01-2009, 03:52 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Alaska Dennis get a big bonefish

Luv Dem Bones
Old 01-01-2009, 08:41 PM

lineslinger is on a distinguished road

I understand.
I had one spool me and spent the next two hours chasing my fly line around.
I finally got the line in hand and started pulling the big boy back in leaving all the backing still in the water.
As I am tugging away on the fly line it suddenly went slack....White Tip, my guide and I speculated by looking at the head that indeed that bonefish topped 10 lbs.
Somehow getting my fly line back didn't make me feel too good about the whole situation.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:45 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Never went bonefishing before, is it worth it?
Old 01-01-2009, 09:32 PM

lineslinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Its addictive.
A 3lb. fish that empties your real of 200 yds of backing in under 60 seconds, and that's with the drag snugged down pretty good.
The style of fishing is predominantly sight casting. You pole along as quietly as you can scanning shallows for them. Once spotted your cast has to be accurate and the presentation quiet, (most of the time).
The old timer that taught me about bonefishing always referred to it as fish hunting.
If you ever get the chance..................
Old 01-01-2009, 09:54 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
It's definitely worth it. I've only been a few times but it was great.. Stalking the Flats is like fishing & hunting at the same time & & it doesn't get much better than that. The bones make that long first run & they are fast. Cheap
reels burn up & rods snap. They're as much fun as Atlantics & the weather is usually a lot better.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:00 AM

Hennessy will become famous soon enough

I guide this crazy sport nearly every day and I still get adrenaline pumps every time I see a big bone. The hunt is frustrating at first if you are a newbie but after a few shots you start to understand that this is not the normal run of the mill fishing scenario. It is high speed craziness in slow motion if that makes any sense.

My buddy just called from the flats he was anchored up tying a fly on when 10 bones ran straight into his boat shadow exploding like the fireworks last night at New Years. 5 minutes later he had back to back doubles come up on the flats he tagged and released 3 bones over 7lbs by himself. I wish I was with him for that bite%@%&#$%&#, on the beach with the kids ahhhhhhhhhhhhh both were priceless actually

ya its addicting, super fun and something you can improve on with every cast and spooked fish and the lucky casts that actually draw a bite will make you part of the brotherhood of the bonefish. A bit like golf really, in a sick way.

oh ya and its 80 and sunny

anyone wanting to share the addiction give me a shout

Capt. Mike
Hawaii Fly Fishing- Best Fishing in the Islands
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00091.jpg (100.8 KB, 0 views)