The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 07:11 AM

gordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura aboutgordon in nc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Solder as a "weight" on a fly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishinado View Post
Solder might work, but in order to allow the solder to adhere to the hook, you need to heat up the hook close to red hot. That being the case, you may ruin the temper on the hook. IMO, wrapping lead or lead substitute wire is easier and faster anyway. Good luck.
My bad on explaining what type of solder I have on hand ...

What I have is a SPOOL of solder ... just like a spool of lead wire you buy for fly tying. Just pull off a strand of what you need for soldering or fly tying

Plus, what I have is very thin gage .. for use with small tip pencil soldering irons .. THIN stuff for sure, like you use on circuit boards.

Your right .. trying to take a "hunk" of solder and get it to stick to a hook ... doubt that would work without messing up the temper for sure ..
Old 11-17-2010, 07:51 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Glue egg: use a small glue gun and some translucent glue sticks. When glue is heated, apply a small amount to the hook....spinning the vise so the egg shape forms round. This also cools the egg some. After you have the size egg you desire, remove it from the vise and drop into some cool water. You can also do these to form the head on egg sucking leeches.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vS7-3T73VY4&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3 "></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vS7-3T73VY4&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3 " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object (YOU TUBE)
Old 11-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Taking the solder and make some "splatters" (you know...those little drops that roll off and hit the cement). Just don't do it from too high above the cement.
The "splatters" will roll and flatten nicely around the hook shank, cover with head cement and lash it in with the thread. Solder is soft enough that you can help shape it with a gentle squeeze from a pair of pliers.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*