The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 02:40 PM

stripstrike is on a distinguished road
Default 7 Weight for fishing streamers

Hi all,

Been fishing with the Sage XP series for years and Im in need of a new rod for throwing both drys and streamers (sink tips). Going to Chile in January and need a 7 wt. Been looking at getting a Z axis 7100. Any suggestions regarding going with 10 ft over the shorter rod? Definately like the fast action tip flex rods (ie xp series).

Ive been fishing bass tournaments for the past 3 years and havent bought a new fly rod in a long while. Any new input on any other brands that may have a better rod for what im looking to do would also be helpful. Ive just been a big sage fan for years.

Tight lines,

Mike
Old 11-14-2010, 10:31 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 7 Weight for fishing streamers

The only reason for a 10 foot rod is increased line control or you are wading deep.

If I plan on streamers, I would rather have a 9 foot or 9.5 foot rod. These rods will be quicker than the 10 footer. Quickening the rod allows to throw tighter loops. That is important when the wind picks up. I would consider the 9.5 foot the compromise between a 9 footer and a 10 footer. It will be quicker than the longer rod, but it would have a tad more reach for line control over the shorter.

The true streamer rod in the Sage lineup is the TCX. It throws big flies and sink tips (or shooting heads) wonderfully. Of all the single handed 7 weights in the TCX series, the 796-4 is my favorite. I have thrown 2/0 Clouser Minnows with 300 grain heads.

If you choose to go with a the Z-Axis, you will need to slow your stroke down some. It is not as fast as the old XP. It has a much lighter feel due to the newer generation of graphite. The rod really likes a powerful down haul on the shoot.

Other rods to consider would be: Scott S4, Hardy Zenith, Winston BIIMx, Winston BIIIx. Cast a few rods to figure out which matches your tastes.

MP
Old 11-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Well, Sage has revamped the XP and made it cheaper. Its action should be in between the Z-Axis and TXL.

SAGE VXP 796-4 FLY ROD

I'd go with that one and I agree that the 9'6" 7wt makes sense.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:39 AM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

I love the Sage Z axis. But my experience with Z axis rods longer than 9' is disappointing. Both my 696 and 810 Z axis rods lack the strong loading action of the slightly shorter rods. I sold my Z 690 to get the 696 for nymphing out west and regret it every time I fish the rod.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 11-17-2010, 01:32 AM

kimkim3074 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligator View Post
I love the Sage Z axis. But my experience with Z axis rods longer than 9' is disappointing. Both my 696 and 810 Z axis rods lack the strong loading action of the slightly shorter rods. I sold my Z 690 to get the 696 for nymphing out west and regret it every time I fish the rod.
Sage Z axis is nice for sure.