The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 04:43 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road
Default Strap on cleats?

I am looking at getting some of those strap on cleats.

I have only one season on my felts and would like to wear them out before getting a cleated pair.
Busted my behind a number of times last year and would like to avoid as much of it as I can this year. My luck without serious injuries last year will not hold out forever.

Anyone try any of those strap ons?

Thanks, Larry
Old 01-02-2009, 04:51 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Strap on cleats?

I believe those are made for ice. I'm not sure how they'd work out for everyday use?
Old 01-02-2009, 04:52 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

I have used strapons before but they got tiresome taking them on and off and making sure they were clean after I used them. So now I use a product my simms, they are cleat screws, just screw them into the bottom of the felt they work great.

I know Cabela's is coming out with a new wading boot that has the option of removable cleats.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi 45fisher,

I think you are asking about something like those pictured. I have an old pair of Korkers that are like overshoes with aluminum cleats. I have found they will save you a fall and are worth the money. The best results are when they are combined with a wading staff.

Frank

Korkers Ultimate Wading Sandals
Click the image to open in full size.

Orvis Heavy-Duty Wading Cleats
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Larry-

I can vouch for the strap on Korkers.

Years ago I was doing some winter steelheading. Guys raved about a small diner that served lunch and breakfast. Turns out the food and service were terrible, but they let the fisherman in wearing waders and Korkers, so of course the place got 5 stars.

Korkers are the go to gear for hard core surf casters and fly fisherman that wade or swim out to moss covered rocks in heavy surf and fish in crashing waves through the night out in places like Montauk, NY, and fish from ocean jetties that get pounded by waves. They are also required in some stretches of steelhead streams with private access like the Douglaston Salmon Run on the Salmon River in NY (to reduce liability). The Salmon River has a slippery rocky bottom, is subject to very fast flows, and a lot of the prime fishing is in very cold weather. To put this in perspective, these are places where people get killed every year.

In such extreme situations they can literally be lifesavers. Korkers and a wading staff maybe overkill on a lot of water, but if you've had some problems with footing in the past and/or prance around in heavy water on moss covered rocks they're a very wise investment-- especially if you hike in to remote areas in winter where an unintended spill that might be just be a blow to your ego in summer could be fatal in winter due to hypothermia.

These provide a MUCH better grip than cleated felts, which is what I wear most of the time on less difficult water. But when i do wear Korkers, like a lot of guys, I take a couple of turns of duct tape around them and the boots after lacing them on to make sure they are on securely. As Mike G mentioned, they can be a PITA to put on, so you wouldn't want to tromp around in them everywhere, and you wouldn't want them on mucky, marly, sandy type waters where you would be wrestling them out of the bottom for most of the day.

All in all, Korkers (and a staff) are a very wise investment if you fish water with unstable footing. Just don't expect a guide to let you wear them in his brand new drift boat.

peregrines
Old 01-02-2009, 07:56 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

As I've mentioned elsewhere (some would say too often ), I'm a big fan of Korkers wading boots with the interchangeable soles. Depending on which model (1st or 2nd generation) model, they have several soles with built-in spikes - felt, Aquastealth and rubber lug, but being interchangeable, you can change out the spiked soles for those better suited to other surfaces when desired. I think the studded rubber are intended for jetties and other rough-water situations that Peregrines has described, and would be interested on how they compare with the strap-on cleats.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Fly2Fish,

I haven't used the rubber/cleat soles or the Korker interchangeable system, just the strap on things with carbide spikes. The interchangeble sole with rubber also has carbide spikes, so it may be OK in FW. I would be concerned about SW with them though. Sand has away of getting into everything, and I'd be concerned it would work it's way between the boot and sole and maybe springing the sole--- but that may not be an issue at all.

The Jetty Plus about 50 bucks and the X-Stream about 90 bucks
Korkers - multi-tool shoes for outdoor, hiking, fishing, golf and work. Versatile OmniTrax Sole System for hiking shoes, hiking boots and trail sandals, fishing shoes, fishing waders, industrial and roofing shoes, golf shoes.

By the looks of them, I have an older version of the Jetty.

One thing to think about-- out here in the East and in a lot of other places there is a lot of concern about Didymo (rock snot) an invasive species that apparently rides along on felt soled waders and spreads to streams. There is growing momentum to ban felt soles, so you may want to put off buying a pair of wading boots with felt + studs until things get sorted out--- new technology with rubber soles to improve their grip is in the works among major manufacturers. It looks like felt will be on the way out soon.

peregrines
Old 01-03-2009, 08:27 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Get some 6 x 1/2 Hex Washer Head sheet metal screws, a couple of bucks at any hardware store. Pretty much the same as the Simms cleats that cost much more for far fewer screws.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:01 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDog View Post
Get some 6 x 1/2 Hex Washer Head sheet metal screws, a couple of bucks at any hardware store. Pretty much the same as the Simms cleats that cost much more for far fewer screws.
Not exactly. The Simms are carbide and will will last much longer than regular sheet metal screws. Rocks are like grinding stones and will wear down cheap metal pretty fast.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:34 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Thanks all for the info.
Frank,
Those you pictured are exactly the one's I have been looking at.
The idea of the 6x1/2 Washer Head sheet metal screws is interesting. Do they stay screwed into the felt? Or do they pull/rip out? How many per shoe/

Larry