The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Tailwater is on a distinguished road
Default Small Rod Recommendations needed

I will be buying a moderately priced two or three weight rod for small streams in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The order of the day there is short and light and I have the choices narrowed down to three rods. I would appreciate comments from folks who have used any of the following on small trout:

1. TFO Professional 7’6” 3 weight 4 piece
2. Echo Classic 6’6” 3 weight 4 piece
3. Elkhorn Traveler 6’ 2 weight 3 piece

Many thanks.

Stan
Old 01-04-2009, 12:27 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Small Rod Recommendations needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwater View Post
I will be buying a moderately priced two or three weight rod for small streams in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The order of the day there is short and light and I have the choices narrowed down to three rods. I would appreciate comments from folks who have used any of the following on small trout:

1. TFO Professional 7’6” 3 weight 4 piece
2. Echo Classic 6’6” 3 weight 4 piece
3. Elkhorn Traveler 6’ 2 weight 3 piece

Many thanks.

Stan
If you have your mind set on these three, I suggest you cast them all, side by side if possible and decide which one you like best. It's up to you and no one else.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:40 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

the longer 7-6 will allow for easier mending, something i find necessary on my own small mountain streams.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:05 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Save some money and think about this rod. I've tried this rod and it casts as well or better than the rods you listed.

Fly Rod A-5 5763
Old 01-04-2009, 09:25 AM

ksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura aboutksbrowntrout2 has a spectacular aura about

I havent casted the elkhorn, but the TFO professional is way to stiff for a 3 weight. My personal choice would be the ECHO, 1) because it has a nice touch, and a good action. 2) ECHO has a great warrenty, comes with a rod tube and sock. 3) Tim Rajeff designed them, so they have to be good.

BUT as mojo said, you really should test all of the rods and make your own decision.

The ECHO would be my choice, but i dont think you should ever buy a rod without test casting it first.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:27 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Echo has a new line of rods listed on Cabelas that you might want to check out.
Cabela's -- Echo Carbon Fly Rods
Old 01-04-2009, 09:45 AM

Cooler00 is on a distinguished road

Fishwest has Echo Classic rods on sale for $99.95 with free shipping

Echo Classic Freshwater Fly Rod - CLOSEOUT at Fishwest Online Fly Shop
Old 01-04-2009, 10:58 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I got the Echo you mentioned. It weighs 2.5 oz. I'm still looking for a reel light enough to balance it where I want. I have cast it with my Ross Rhythm 1, with 2 wt line (I got a deal). The reel is a bit heavy but, it feels pretty good when casting. The rod casts very well with the 2 wt line. A 4 wt line was too much. At 30 ft and in (2 wt line), it worked very well, for me. I could get out more line, but it was more of a chore. I expect it will cast a 3 wt line great. Overall I'm very pleased with this rod, given it's intended use. Fishing small streams for small trout. Is it spring yet?
BTW, a friend got a TFO Finesse 1 wt. It's a very nice rod as well. They also make the Finesse in a 2 and 3 wt.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:04 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

One other thing to think about after what Eric mentioned (7"6" for mending). A short 6', 6½" graphite rod is not that easily loaded on small streams. Another avenue would be 'glass if you want a shorter (6' or so)length. Diamondglass, Dave Redington's Southfork Rod Co., custom glass builders etc.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:15 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Glass makes a perfect short rod for small streams. Tough to break too.