The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 10:36 AM

featherlite is on a distinguished road
Default premium 3wt

Hi All,

I would be very interested in hearing from all of you what your favorite 3wt premium rod is/would be for fishing smaller streams where casts of 10-20 feet is the order of the day and that can cope with mainly lightly weighted nymphs (sizes #14-18) and small dries, but which can also cope with a little wind. In particular I would be interested to have reviews based on -

1. blank performance firstly; and then

2. secondly an asthetics and finish analysis.

At the end of the day I am looking for that "ultimate" one 3wt rod that can do it all review. I appreciate that much depends on personal taste but lets see where this goes...
Old 01-04-2009, 10:48 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: premium 3wt

The Scott, 6', 10" 3 weight 'G' is a real sweetheart of a rod and a true, small-stream classic.
It hasn't been available for years but Harry Murrays fly shop in VA worked out an exclusive to continue carrying them.
I honestly can't think of anything more one could ask of a small stream rod. It has some range, great feel, casts like a dream and is beautifully hand built in Colorado.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:07 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Featherlite,

I like glass for that type of fishing.

But, if you're going to be doing primarily nymphing (with weighted nymphs), then I'd move more towards a medium to medium-fast carbon fiber rod, like Sage's 7'6" ZXL 3 wt. I have one, took it to Japan about 3 months ago and fished for incredibly tiny trout (Yamame) in gin-clear water (maximum steam width of 10-15'; more often 5-10') using a combination of both small dry flies (#16-20) and unweighed nymphs (same hook size). That rod did a very good job under those conditions and left me with the feeling that I could have put a significantly heavier fly on the tippet (7x) and still had a nice presentation in the under 20' range.

For sure, you need a rod that loads quickly and easily with very little line out of the tiptop. If it wasn't for the weighted nymph conditional, I'd recommend my "go to" small stream glass rod; a Diamondback Diamondglass 7'6" 3 wt. My favorite - by a wide margin.

If you fish what your handle implies, then you probably know that an Eagle Claw Featherlite can work for what you're asking; but it's far from a 3 wt. and I wouldn't qualify it as the optimal rod for that purpose.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Don't forget Winston's WT's or LT's for a premium 3w. They just feel good in your hand and are great fishing machines.Now really going premium, a Tom Morgan Rodsmith 3w would be nice. Morgan, like Winston are the medium to medium fast rod range. I've only seen a Morgan rod. Too rich for my blood at $1200+ for plastic.
Or you could go cane.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:33 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Don't forget Winston's WT's or LT's for a premium 3w.
or the new Winston BIIt... made specifically for what you're loking for. http://www.winstonrods.com/boronIIt.html
Old 01-04-2009, 11:38 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Moderate action. 7'6"Tiger Eye. 3/4 weight. Blank under 50. Completed w/ down locking seat, under 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001_1.jpg (97.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-04-2009, 11:38 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

This wouldn't be a bad choice.

F - scott fly rod company
Old 01-04-2009, 04:17 PM

lineslinger is on a distinguished road

Sage 890 LL 3wt.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:41 PM
RDRogers is on a distinguished road

I do my small stream work with a 7' Winston WT 3wt. Love it. So smooth. Good in close and also reaches out when I need it to. Handles beadheads and indicators Too. I don't think you could find a better looking rod anywhere.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:06 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about

I recently purchased an Orvis Super Fine / Trout Bum 7.5 ft 3 wt 4 piece full flex rod; it was my Christmas gift to myself. I am very pleased with the rod in terms of performance and beauty (rod, reel seat and hardware). It helps that I bought it prior to an eighty dollar price hike and with the Free Bar Stock reel offer; I got the rod, reel and fly line for about $550. Although I have only had it a short time, I can say it casts very smoothly and with more power than you might expect for this type of rod. Yesterday, I caught a few medium sized bream and a small bass (about 7 inches) with it.

Around Thanksgiving, I fished part of the time with a guide's Winston Boron IIt 5wt. rod; it was a wonderful rod too (full flex) for closer fishing. I am sure their 3wt. superb, but the rod alone costs about $650.

In terms of performance, fit & finish and beauty, either would be a great choice, and they both are a subtle dark green.