The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 04:02 PM

basher is on a distinguished road
Default 2 or 4 piece?

wondering what people think about their rods, if 2 piece is better than 4 or 4piece is better than 2, answer with why you picked either one also.
thanks
Old 01-04-2009, 04:29 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: 2 or 4 piece?

Can't give you any expert reasons but I'll give you the perpective of a newb. I just purchased a 2 piece 9'. My rational was each additional joint had to detract from feel (since I've learned on here that's not as true anymore). I had room to store longer sections. And last the 2 piece cost less.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Basher,

I have both, the 4 pc rods travel well on a motorcycle but I manage to haul a 9' 2pc when I need it. I have a 1994 4pc 5wt PM 10 that has landed some big fish and seems up to the task. I also have an older 7' 9" Far & Fine 2pc that has landed many Silver Salmon without a hitch. Strength-wise I guess there may be a difference but I think portability is the main factor in choosing between them. I do believe that the 2pc Far and Fine casts better than the four piece rod by a bit but I could be wrong about that.

In heavy rods it seems that they are all 2 or 3 pc rods that I have. I did get my wife a 4pc 9wt for Kings but the run was so poor this past season that we didn't get a fish hooked to it. It seems to cast well enough and hopefully we'll find out if it'll land a King this spring.

Portability remains my criteria when choosing a rod per number of sections. Although if I get a killer deal on an old 2pc heavy rod I'll buy it and deal with the length of the tube.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:51 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I have 2,3,4,and 5 pc rods. The 5 pc. is a Winston LT5. Can't tell the difference if it was a 1 pc. I have Orvis 4pc rods, a glass 4w Steffan Bros. that's fast but I think it's because of the extra ferrule's. Still a great rod. Packs up as good as the LT. Actually I really like that rod.
I like my 3pc and 2pc rods too. I really don't think of #of pieces anymore. Once again, as it is in fly fishing, it's nothing more than a matter of personal preference.

Now I've heard it before, odd # pieces are better because of harmonics in the casting. Could all be b.s. but who really knows we don't have a lot of rocket scientists on ff'ing forums.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:54 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I was totally against 'too-many piece' rods when they were introduced. Now I'll never look back!
Most of my rods are four piece and, to be honest, I can't tell the difference in feel or weight from the two and three piece rods I own.
The four piece rods travel far better than the two piece.
Besides... it's far better, easier and cheaper to make a two piece rod out of a four piece than a four piece out of a two piece!
Old 01-04-2009, 05:02 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

I like a 4 pc for hiking into remote areas. Other than that. A 2pc is fine.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:29 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I like both, I have like 9 4-p rods, which fit in the truck better when you break then down better for packing into places, and other advantages, with todays rods you cant tell a diffrenece when you cats them. The only thing I do to make them better is paint a small birght color dot to make it faster to aligne them when I connect them. I have two piece rods for my bigger rods for bass and striper and such really no other reason then I do all that fishinbg out of a boat and dont need the rods to break down that small. I also hang my rods in cases on a rack I made thats a long board with hooks on it like a hat rack and the 4's dont take up as much wall space.
Bear
Old 01-04-2009, 06:41 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

If you're ever going to travel, a 2 piece rod is a huge liability, so I'd go for a 3 or 4 piece rod.

I have heard of people not liking more joints in a rod because it can come apart during a cast. I've had it happen, but only once, and I was 11 years old, so my attention to assembly wasn't so great.

Most of my rods are 3 piece, but my "go to" rod for hiking, biking, and travel is my 9 foot 8 wt telescopic. It fits in a suitcase (and lockers onboard Navy ships) and performs pretty well. I think there is some loss of distance and feeling because it has guide rings instead of snake guides, but otherwise it does great.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:20 PM

rustydeej is on a distinguished road

I can't tell any difference between my 2 piece and 4 piece rods. Seldom do I take my 2 piece rods on a trip any more. The 4 piece rods fit in my travel bag neatly and are easy to fit in a backpack.

Rusty
Old 01-04-2009, 07:36 PM

Benford is on a distinguished road

I looked into that a while back, and although I don't have a perfectly scientific answer, manufacturer's charts of flexibility tend to show more flex in rods with fewer pieces. The amount is marginal, .5 units on a scale of 1-10.

I was not surprised to find this because with a 4 piece, there are going to be more firm joint locations than with a 2 piece, making the rod a bit more stiff.

Again the difference is marginal, and I prefer a 4 piece simply because it is easier to store for me.