The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 04:10 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lets Talk Lens Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
Dennis
Any Smith models you like better than others. I have been looking at the Guides Choice. I have a large nose bridge and need somthing that is not to narrow.
The key thing is to get something that fits your face. Try a few on. The models with the TLT glass lenses offer the best optical quality in the Smith lineup.

MP
Old 11-15-2010, 04:41 PM

blakebryce is on a distinguished road

I join the forum just to get in on this thread. But belive the hype about Costa del mar. I swear by them and they are worth every cent. I have the 580 glass lenses in copper with green mirror. They work great in all weather conditions. They are the only company that made sunglasses specify for fishing. Whether its on a small stream with trees blocking the sun or in grass looking for reds, they are the only things on my face.

Tight lines and bent rods
Blake
Old 11-15-2010, 07:12 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I too am an Oakley fan. I have a pair of "Flak Jacket" sunglasses i use for driving. I picked up a pair of amber/copperish lenses and can just change out the lens when i am on the water. I am planning on getting a second pair of frames with a different color so that i have a pair of dedicated fishing glasses with multiple lens options.

They are very comfortable glasses i can wear all day without any discomfort.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:10 AM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

Last year I got a pair of Smiths especially for low light conditions like dusk. They are polarized, prescription, bifocals, and yellow. I found I couldn't effectively tie on a fly at dusk anymore, so the bifocal length is set for that purpose.

I'm still getting used to them. Normally I don't wear (or like) bifocals. Also, combining these attributes limits your frame selection. They seem a little clunky. The bifloals can interfere with your view of the stream. But the yellow is good for low light and the bifocals allow me to tie on flies.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 11-18-2010, 10:55 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderfulremark View Post
Try Maui Jims Bronze or HT.
I was a Smith fan with Rose until Maui Jims HT They gave me at least 30 minutes more fish time in the morning and night. They are not cheap but man do they work. I will not buy any others. The new HT's can be found on EBay now from time to time.

And.. You can get them in prescription form. Plan on spending $400 for them. If you need byfocals they can do that also. SuglassHut's in the Malls carry them to try then buy on Ebay unless you go prescription (then you need an eyedoc to fill that)

Also.. They are absolutley light weight.

CritterGetter

PS... I agree with the comments find the pair that works for you. Walmart isn't it... Unless you only want to spend $20
Old 11-18-2010, 12:10 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Ocean Waves all the way. They have a warranty that beats any other. They are designed by fisherman. They are the only supplier that uses an in house person for there prescription glasses. As far as color I love the backwater green. Works great in low light.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:33 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Lets Talk Lens Color

I've wear prescription glasses and previously relied on limited polarized clipons that had bad glare. The other option were contacts and polarized glasses but 4 hrs into that my vision dropped to 20/ 50 from dried contacts. I switched to Rudy Project Exceptions for superior clarity and a full quiver of polarized and photochromic clipon lenses that have no glare I can see and- I can see fish! I take the whole quiver when I'm traveling so I pick and chose based on bright, sunny days to overcast and bright with glare to overcast and darker. I just love em.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:56 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I have a pair of Native Hardtops that came as a kit with 4 sets of lenses. Polarized Brown, Amber, Rose, and Clear.

They are very easy to swap the lenses.

So far I generally just use the Amber in the dawn or dusk hours (they are actually better that clear in low light) and the Polarized Brown when the sun is out.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:49 PM

Cleep1700 is on a distinguished road

I had a pair of WileyX's in an amber color that I liked but the frame broke just over the year warranty and neither the optical shop nor Wiley would replace them. I wore them infrequently so I felt like I got screwed. I now wear wearovers in amber and grey and like them and the cost better.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:33 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I wear prescription glasses so instead of getting another, separate pair of RX sunglasses I got a pair on $15 polarized clip ons with brown lenses to clip to my regular glasses.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog