The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 08:16 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Lets Talk Lens Color

So the more I trout fish the more I realize how important a good pair of Sun Glasses are. This past week during my Steelhead trip the water was low and clear with few fish. So much water did not hold fish that it became paramont not to be fishing blind. I was using a pair of Native glasses with an amber lens and they worked great in the bright sunlight but not as good in the grey light conditions of early morning and evening. So what Brand and lens color have worked best for you. I am looking at a pair of Smiths.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:20 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Lets Talk Lens Color

All I use is amber and am still wearing thirty year old Flying Fishermen which were 20 bucks or less back then. They are glasses not plastics, and the old aviator style.

I had a really expensive pair made once by an optomitrist, but they only lasted about 3 years before someone stole them when I set them down at a trade show for about 15 seconds. I never bought another expensive pair.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

In low light amber is hard to beat. You might try a rose or copper tint to enhance contrast, but they generally allow less light in than amber, which is not as ideal in low light conditions.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:36 AM

pie314 will become famous soon enough

oakley has always been my favorite. They make a very nice high quality polarized lens. As for color, i recently purchased a new pair in tungsten iridium, it is a shade of amber and im very happy with them.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:00 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Copper is more of an all around lens. Amber is suited for flatter light. Here is a chart from Smith Optics on what color lens is suited for which condition.

I am currently using two pairs of glasses from Smith Optics. One has the polarchromatic copper lens, and the other has the polarized gray lens.

MP
Old 11-15-2010, 11:00 AM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

Try Maui Jims Bronze or HT.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Cliff and Dennis(MP) about amber.Now I have to use prescription glasses .... some years ago I had a pair of yellow Orvis(lighter than amber) which were great in low light.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Dennis
Any Smith models you like better than others. I have been looking at the Guides Choice. I have a large nose bridge and need somthing that is not to narrow.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:04 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I will agree with the above that amber is a great all around color. My favorite is a pair of Costa del Mar Howlers with the mirrored glass lenses. They are a bit heavier than some, but you can wipe them with a napkin and not scratch them.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:38 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Been using Smiths for many years. The guides choice is good for me because, I don't want light/glare coming underneath them. Squinting all day takes much of the fun out of fishing.
I was a photo guy, so I prefer a grey lens, it doesn't skew the spectrum so much.
Amber helps the contrast a little, but doesn't work as well in low light conditions.
I have a pair of interchangeable Oakleys, for very low-light eye protection, with yellow or clear lenses. Whatever glasses you pick, tie them on. Glasses are too pricey to lose.

Jim

Bigfly