The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 10:03 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Amish Poachers?

I belong to the Clear Fork chapter of TU here in Oh and twice a year for the past 5 or more years we stock a small spring fed creek with rainbows and browns. Every spring stocking the fish are usually poached out by May. The November stocking usually fares alot better however I just recieved an email from the chapter EO about Amish going in and clearing it out!! No license no nothing. The creek is stocked with high hopes to develope a "sports fishery" and poaching has been a big problem over the years and it has actually settled down due to a fairly constant prescense on the creek. Now the bloody Amish are getting in on it!?!?!?! I'm at the point where I think enough is enough. I think it best to abandon the efforts made there and concentrate our efforts on the river our chapter is named for! Its a fun place to fish to get the skunk off but how many times do you do the same thing over and over again before you call it quits? The definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over expecting different results and I think we might be beating a dead horse here. Do you guys have any thoughts or opinions?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:13 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Amish Poachers?

What's right is right. I wouldn't give up. In fact I'd have my TU chapter turn up the heat on all the responsible organizations. Another thing that may or may not be effective is a "poacher hot line" like we have in Ca. Maybe worth looking at.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If they're not exempt from the regulations, they need to be reported when caught poaching. If they are exempt, contact your state legislators about the need to get rid of this loophole.

One thing, at least we know they won't see this discussion.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:44 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Its always going to be someone...amish, illegal imagrants, red necks who couldn't care less...always someone stealing. Keep doing what your TU team is doing, its worth the fight and if you don't do it....no one else will. The suggestions above are all good avenues worth following up.

luck to you!!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

In Pennsylvania I had a good relationship with the district supervisor of the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commissions Water Ways Patrol Officers. The building of the relationship took time but once it was established any 'actionable' information I provided regarding poachers was made a matter for patrol and enforcement.

Remember WT developing a relationship with the F&G people is a process and it is best to begin by meeting with local officers and getting to know one another prior to your coming to them with a complaint. Here I have an annual coffee break with the F&G Trooper who handles my home waters. By maintaining the on going relationship if and when I need to contact him regarding a violation we have a history and I feel that this leads to a more focused response to any information I am able to provide. This winter I will be teaching one of my local Park & River Rangers how to fly tie and in the spring he will be taking casting instructions from me. All of these relationships help to make my observations while on the water more relevant should there be a problem.

Just some thoughts on how I have interfaced with F&G enforcement agents,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-15-2010, 05:17 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
In Pennsylvania I had a good relationship with the district supervisor of the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commissions Water Ways Patrol Officers. The building of the relationship took time but once it was established any 'actionable' information I provided regarding poachers was made a matter for patrol and enforcement.
The PA state waterway conservation officers I've met are head and shoulders above the state and county park rangers. The WCO's are very pro-active, and interactive with the public. The county rangers couldn't care less, at least in Bucks County: they stand by while people fish without licenses, litter, etc. The state rangers range from lazy to hard-nose, but I haven't met one that has the level of professionalism of the WCO's. I'm sure they exist, but I haven't met one. Heck, I saw a county park ranger asking a woman about the contents of her cooler, and his pants were falling off/shirt completely out!!!!

I've noticed that my favorite new stream gets lots of angling traffic, but haven't seen a single enforcement officer of any sort yet. I have seen guys fishing bait in the fly fishing only section, but don't know who to call. One of the WCO's I met last year gave me a pamphlet of phone numbers, and told me to call him if I ever had something to report. He said if it was outside his territory, he'd contact the correct WCO. There are some awfully large trout in this section of the stream, and the locals tell me that poaching isn't uncommon. I suppose taking photo's and providing info to the proper (i.e. responsive) authorities would be our best course of action. Sort of like Ard said......

Last edited by FrankB2; 11-15-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:52 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Wt bash---we just had a speaker at out local fff group from your T-U group.
He mentioned the battle with the Ohio DNR about posting a no kill regulation.
The state wont help stock or donate cash but you have to let every worm dunker in the state to haul off your efforts by enforcing the regulations posted statewide for trout.I cant understand that a dnr officer can find your no-kill/fly fishing only sign and cant seem to locate the culprits poaching all your trout. I feel for you brother, its going to be an uphill and against the wind battle. I never tried the Clear fork but it sounded interesting. Sounded like a huge effort.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:50 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Shorthaul its actually Apple Creek we stock, but the Clear Fork is awesome when the flow is good. Unfortunately it hasn't been for quite some time with our lack of rain. The state's lack of support is a big issue but there are alot of variables in this equasion. I think more efforts need to be seen from both our groupe and the state however since chanelization, agricultural run off and other environmental issues come into play Ohio views any stocking as "put and take". In all honesty I can't complain about that because the two well known Ohio trout streams are the Clear Fork and Mad Rivers which have a daily limit of 2 over 12", all other water unless privately owned (clubs and such) have a daily limit of 5 over 12, Apple Creek falls in that catagory even though the state doesn't support our efforts. As much as I hate to say it reporting any poaching is like a joke. I had made the call one day when I witnessed a guy with his kid no less using a cast net I was on hold longer than I fished!!! We only have one F&G officer per county here and they do have their hands full. It is a shame but it is what it is. Thanks to the replies and suggestions guys, at least I'll have some new ideas to get the gears turning.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:14 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
One of the WCO's I met last year gave me a pamphlet of phone numbers, and told me to call him if I ever had something to report. He said if it was outside his territory, he'd contact the correct WCO.
Frank,

This is what I'm talking about! Call him and see if he wants to have coffee at an area Dunkin Donut or somewhere like that. Let him get to know you and perhaps he will introduce you to deputies in your area. This is how you begin a network of trust and support with these guys. If the only time they ever hear from you is when you have a grievance you are just another John Q. Public who is whining about something. Like I said these things take time but if you want to have an impact on your home waters this strategy worked for me.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-16-2010, 06:10 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Oregon State Police.

Don't know if it's common (across the Country) but here in Oregon the State Police do the vast majority of the enforcement work. Though they'd prefer you not call them via 911 (there is a separate 800 #) the net result is the same:

"You call, they Haul!"

fae