The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 03:38 PM

hunter1 is on a distinguished road
Default strike indecators

I'v tried differant typs of indicators while nymp fishing. I'm now using the bio, puty. It's o.k. but i would like to hear what others use. I'v tried the thingama bob , but they don't cast well. What do you use.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:41 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: strike indecators

I use Thingamabobbers exclusively and don't have a problem casting them at all. I do avoid the larger sizes and go for the small and x-small.

Kelly
Old 11-15-2010, 04:14 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I use Thingamabobbers when I bobber fish. Like most other indicators, they can slip. Actually, I think they cast well for indicators.

MP
Old 11-15-2010, 04:40 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Hunter, for me, the choice is always the correct tool for the job.
After many field tests, I think they may all have a place.
1. Fish the smallest Indy possible, some fish are bobber sensitive..
2. Fish one suited (large enough) for the "payload" fished, more weight, needs more support..
Essentially, the larger the mass of the bobber, the less sensative it is. It requires a larger take to register. They can mouth a fly, and not tip you off at all.
Now for my take on the shootout.
A. Yarn seems to be the most sensitive, but takes combing and greasing, and is not very aerodynamic for casting. It does land silently on the water, and you can make them any color or size you want (they can support 3-4 AB shot). I like white with a red core that only I can see.
B. Corkies work well enough, but require threading onto the line, before you tie on a fly.
They can also spook trout with a small, "ker-ploop" when they land. They cast OK, in the wind, but add some extra weight to the leader system. Bright orange/red/green isn't too sneaky.
C. Putty is suitable for small water only, doesn't adjust well, and it often casts off.
D. Thingamabobbers are my choice because they adjust easily by a client (on/off, up/down), land softly, cast pretty well, and come in a very sneaky array of colors and sizes (including black!). Some folks complain about a kink in the leader, I just straighten it. Sliding problems on small diameter leaders can be cured by adding a small black O-ring over the "ear" before looping bobber onto the leader.
E. I sometimes use the Styrofoam bait bobbers that have a push button J-spring keeper. Smallest ones work well, they adjust easily, and support a bunch..
F. Peel&stick are least functional (although some swear by them) because they don't adjust, and leave a residue on the leader (unsightly on the shore as well).
But on small water, without a lot of changes needed, they will cast far and land without a sound.
G. On small water that is clear, I like to thread a small piece of bright fly line (with the core removed) onto the leader partway up (above a knot). Related to this is a bright red Indy tip tied as the terminal knot on the fly line.
Lots of ways to skin a cat!!!
Just choose the one that works best for your water, and go fish.
Good luck.

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 11-15-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:44 PM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
I use Thingamabobbers exclusively and don't have a problem casting them at all. I do avoid the larger sizes and go for the small and x-small.

Kelly

exact same for me
Old 11-15-2010, 04:45 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

The indicator I use is the tip of my line, just wait till you see it stop and lift the rod tip.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:23 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzenangler View Post
The indicator I use is the tip of my line, just wait till you see it stop and lift the rod tip.
My good friend Ard convinced me to go that route, and I don't regret it. I do use a hopper/dropper rig, mostly to see what's working better. The water in the Little Lehigh Creek was flowing SLOW this weekend, and I tied an Elk Hair Caddis to my leader, and then dropped a PTN off the back of that. They liked the caddis better.

P.S. Don't get po'ed at me for saying this, but bobbers are just nasty looking. I can't picture Charles Ritz tying using one, or John Gierach for that matter. There's zero aesthetic appeal with those things, and a even a foam hopper is light years ahead of a bobber.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:03 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Small thingamabobbers too. Last night I was on here Barr's Hopper - Copper - Dropper | The three-fly system that catches fish all summer. , and I think that I'll use a Foam Hopper or Chernoybll Ant next year.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:07 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

When I use indicators I like Floatmasters; easy to adjust for depth change and very rarely come off.

Dan
Old 11-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I never use indicators...for I fish on sight...if you can't see the fish taking your nymph just watch your tippet or your leader ...if you absolutely want to use an "indicator" do what Frank told you add a high floating fly on your leader...you may catch some fish on it