The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 03:26 PM

fisterfam is on a distinguished road
2008 - A look back - Take a Soldier Fishing

I just wanted to take some time to say many thanks to all of those that help make this website grow. If you post an offer to take a service member fishing or somewhere and you do not get a response, please do not get discouraged.? The word is getting out slowly that we are here for them. They need to know that you are here no matter how long it takes for them to respond.Over the years we have just had the website up, offering a place where citizens can link up with service members to go fishing. After a couple site crashes, and several attepts at putting a virus on the site we are still here. Several people and organizations have taken the Take a Soldier Fishing idea and ran with it.? Mostly they are successful because of their contacts or money and their drive to support the military. I commend those that offer these programs to service members and keep up the good work.? Individual efforts will be recognized individually and it is our dream that there will be one place that all service members can go to find some sort of outdoor activity or hobby or friend that they can relate with.? It is our dream that this site will be that place. My wife and I have put alot of time, energy, and money into our programs only to have some of them copycatted and claimed by others. We don't complain because it is for the service members. Our whole goal with our programs is to help connect people with service members so that they have the opportunity to show their appreciation.In March of 2008 my wife and I came up with a program for Ft. Hood soldiers to go fishing all across the state of Texas. Along the way we met some really great people that stepped forward and put together boats and meals and rooms for these soldiers. These event coordinators showed their true colors and showed these soldiers the times of their lives. It doesn't stop there though. It really starts with the boaters and the sacrifices that the boaters make for each and every trip for these soldiers. We do not pay for or compensate these boaters for their time or motels or gas or food. They spend alot of time and money to make a special day for these soldiers. This bonding time for the soldiers and boaters is key to the theraputic value of these fishing trips.

Alot of the soldiers that we take on these fishing trips are suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and or Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). Some of these soldiers have been diagnosed with these conditions and then there are those that are too proud to admit that they may have a problem. Nightmares. Insomnia. Headaches. Constant nervousness and the inability to fit back into society. These are all conditions that we have been told that these fishing trips have helped with. Soldiers have told us these things. Not to mention being proud to wear their uniform again and to have served despite their injuries. This doesn't come from my wife and I, this comes from you as the community. The ones that support these soldiers not with just boats but food and prizes and hotel rooms and the smiles and handshakes. The simple thank yous that you say make all the difference in the world to these soldiers.

Our program started ambitiously and not without its ups and downs. Thank you to all of those that have stood by us and the service members. The coming year will have some changes in store for our fishing program for Ft Hood. There will be more organization and structure for each event.

We also work with other non profit organizations to work towards one common goal. Whether its riding bicycles or offroading or maybe antique cars are your passion. We can bring it all together in one place for service members to find. We would like to be an extensive (non government)network for service members.

THE FT. HOOD FISHING PROGRAM
This year we had 11 fishing trips that were organized all across Texas.
We took close to 330 service members fishing.
We had 226 registered boaters for our events.
We drove 3,896 miles

This does not include the numbers of service members that have used the site to hook up with a boater and go fishing. There are 600+ members of this site and the number contiues to grow each day. 75% of the members of this site are citizens wanting to take service members fishing and the other 25% are waiting for the right person to post an offer to go in their neck of the woods.

Combat Warrior Crisis Network will be launching the website www.takeasoldierhunting.org sometime in early 2009 as well as our home site www.combatwarriorcrisisnetwork.org . CWCN will be offering, in 2009, marriage counseling for wounded soldiers and marriage retreats as well. We are completely dependent upon donations to make all of this work for everyone so if you can help then please do. If you already support us and our programs thank you very much. God Bless.

Sincerely Mike and Dena Nashif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul and the other for your freedom.

Check out our video on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjk_DaUBNi8
Old 01-05-2009, 03:59 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: 2008 - A look back - Take a Soldier Fishing

Hi,
I guide on a lake in Arkansas, I just hit your links to check your programe out and the sites they went to didnt do anything. Any ideas?
My boat that I have now only allows me two or three people depndeing on what we fish for and how, but I would be interested.
thanks
Bear www.arbearfish.com
Old 01-05-2009, 04:46 PM

Bear - I appologize for that. The sites that are listed are for our new programs that we will be launching this year (early 2009)

You can go to Welcome to Take a Soldier Fishing! to check out our programs and pictures and make a post if you like. Thanks for supporting our service members. Mike
Old 01-05-2009, 04:49 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisterfam View Post
Bear - I appologize for that. The sites that are listed are for our new programs that we will be launching this year (early 2009)

You can go to Welcome to Take a Soldier Fishing! to check out our programs and pictures and make a post if you like. Thanks for supporting our service members. Mike
LOL thats ok, I just went back and re-read the post and cuaght that,
thanks
Bear
Old 01-05-2009, 05:20 PM

Our organization will be taking 5 soldiers from Ft. Hood to south Texas to learn some fly fishing in conjunction with Heroes on the Water. We are going to have a great time.

Do you have a program on this forum that has been set up to help support service members? One of our representatives volunteers his time and materials to sit down once a week with wounded soldiers and teach them how to tie fishing flies. I was wondering if you guys on here would be interested in supporting a project like this. I know there are alot of programs out there but Ft Hood has been looked over, mainly because the soldiers that are suffering, suffer from PTSD. You can't see their injuries and these programs keeps their minds busy. Let me know your thoughts on this. You can see Bill hard at work in the video that we compiled of our events over the year on YouTube. Thanks again and if you have any questions please feel free to contact us. Mike
Old 01-09-2009, 02:55 PM

Bob Williams is on a distinguished road

I am new to this forum, so excuse me if you know about this already. I was wounded in 2007 and in Walter Reed Jan 08 til Aug 08. I hooked up with Project Healing Waters there and have been on three Big trips (Colorado headwaters of Rio Grande near Creede, Virginia Beach for the Tidewater Kayack Tourny to benefit Healing Waters, and the last trip New Years to Northern GA for 3 days fishing the Soque River) and a few smaller ones local.

I fished with Project Healing Waters soldiers out of Ft Carson while in Colorado and have been told that there are many Healing Waters popping up all over the US. For anyone that wants to help injured soldiers I would recommend this org.

Just my 2 Cents
Old 01-14-2009, 10:41 PM

Bob, let me thank you for your service to our great country. I have heard of PHW and they are a great program. I recommend anyone to particpate or donate their time or resources to this program as well to help the service members heal. It is a great way to help take you mind off the some of the other bothersome things when you are healing. Project Healing Waters concentrates more on the soldiers that have the more prominent physical injuries, where our programs are more geared towards the service members with PTSD and TBI. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Traumatic Brain Injury most often occur during combat operations and seem to have caused chemical imbalances in the brain. Some injuries are physical with scarring on the brain from explosions from roadside bombs. Yet they remain unseen and often untreated. The chemical imbalances have been something as simple (or complicated)as the body constantly releasing adrenaline and blocking the ability to feel emotion. The inability to reconnect to loved ones such as wives and children and family for the ability to not understand what they (the service member) has gone through. The only place that they feel that they fit in is around other combat veterans so they are unable to fit in to normal society. They need to know that this is a normal reaction to an abnormal situation. By providing our programs we offer the communities a way to show support to our service members and show them that people that do not even know who these service members are -CARE- The time spent with each boater means more to them then probably 100 hours with a doctor.

Support every program out there that you can that supports our troops. Just remember one thing, just because you can't see an injury doesn't mean that they don't need the support. PTSD and TBI are very real injuries suffered by very real heroes. God Bless all that have ever raised their right hand and sworn to defend our way of life. Watch over those that are healing and guide them in the right direction. Shield the ones that are fighting today and for tomorrow. God Bless the ones who died for me.

Mike Nashif
SSG US Army
OIFII, OIF 06-08
I currently work with all the wounded soldiers on Ft Hood, Tx.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:04 PM

I also do not want people to think that one injury is less important or draumatic than another. There is definately a difference and each case is/ and should be treated individually. To each person their injury is the whole world to them and nothing else seems to matter until they go fishing. Takeasoldierfishing.com Have a great night!

Mike