The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 02:57 AM

boone is on a distinguished road
Default Rod Building (finish)

Well i just got the rod kit that some of you have already given me pointers on. I will start building it tomorrow so wish me luck!!! I've done a ton of reading(a big thanks to ezamora) and at this point have only one question. When applying finish to the plank to i only apply finish to the threads where i tied on the guides or do i apply it to the entire rod? Everything i've red seems to just imply that i know what to do, unfortunately i dont, or maybe i'm just missing it.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:09 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod Building (finish)

Graphite rods just get finish on the wraps
I think there's a good video on Mudhole you may want to check out
Old 01-06-2009, 12:27 PM

thanks rip tide. do you have a link or a complete name for the site that you recomended?
Old 01-06-2009, 01:13 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Rod Building 101 - The Basics of Custom Rod Building
Old 01-08-2009, 10:59 AM

Thanks everyone for the tips. I am now done with the rod except for the finish and some small touches. I'll be sure to post up pictures sometime tomorrow (probably0 when i get done
Old 01-08-2009, 11:05 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Boone
I usually put a coat of Turtle Wax or some other car wax on a rod I build. It's just a little more protection & makes it easier to clean.

Neil