The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 09:15 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road
Default Sink tip lines

If I am only going to have one sink tip line for my 6 wt. rod, what would you recommend? I'll fish most often for trout, but also for small mouth. Most often on streams and rivers, but occasionally on lakes.

SA's lines are numbered, so would a II or III be better? Should I error on the side of slow sinking of fast sinking? Has anyone used the RIO 6 Streamer?
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sink tip lines

I fish streams and smaller rivers. I like the slower sinking lines. I feel that I can control them a little more. I gain more depth, as needed, by casting across or upstream and giving it a longer drift. I just like the versatility of the slow sinkers..........but the water I fish tends to dictate this type. Others with experience on faster and deeper water would probably recommend a faster sinking line.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I use to use them all the time in a type II. But I prefer an intermediate or full sink line now.. I seem to get into more fish with a sinking line.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:05 PM

Jimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud ofJimmie has much to be proud of

I was talking with a fly fisherman working at Sportsman Warehouse about sinking lines. He used slow sinking. I don't remember all of his rationales. The reason that I chimed in is he also showed me the sinking tips that could be tied onto whatever line that you had on your spool. Are these a consideration? Seems like they could be more of a gimmic.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jimmie: That is how I use sink tips. Started using sink tips while in Alaska fishing on some very fast water. I would buy the heaviest full sinking line, cut sections of approx 6-10 ft, use tying tread to make small loops in the ends and then coat with Pliobond. Still use that same method today primarily when I fish lakes, I guess primarily because its cheap. I use my normal floating line and just attached the loop when I want to go deeper.

Larry
Old 01-08-2009, 01:18 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all. I got a SA sink tip IV because it covers a wide variety of situations and because my local fly shop carries it.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley