The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: How old were you when you stared fly fishing?
5-10 11 18.33%
11-20 23 38.33%
21-30 10 16.67%
31-40 5 8.33%
41-50 7 11.67%
51+ 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 09:03 AM

jcl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: When did you start?

I was about 15. I was out fishing a couple times when a hatch came off, and the fishing with bait or lures would come to a halt. My dad and an 8wt rod that weighed about as much my arm and an old automatic reel that I think he used once or twice. The only flies he had were poppers, and I had no idea what I was doing, but I waded out and flailed around. Somehow, I got into it, started catching sunnies and got into the magazines, books, and videos to learn. I'm largely self-taught, and the influence of that uncertified teacher still shows up in my casting form now and again, but otherwise it's worked out well.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:00 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

I started with my dad just out of high school off and on, but didn't get really into it until about 5 years ago when I got married and my father-in-law was a big fly fisherman.

John
Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 AM

DMV is on a distinguished road

HI: All

I started to fly fish around the age of eleven after my Dad bought some fly gear and tying gear at a yard sale. From that Day about 19 years ago. I've been fly fishing, and now that I am married My wife would like to do some traveling and fly fishing at the same time....

Cheers: Dave
Old 01-07-2009, 11:34 AM

BadKarma is on a distinguished road

My Grandpa got me started when I was about 6 in 1968. He was a die hard Bass Fisherman and believed that a flyrod was the only "Real" thing to use.

He passed when I was 9. I still have his bamboo rod.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:07 PM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
I got back into tournaments (bass) and guideing and fishing for walleye and stuff all I did was fly fish. Bass ,bluegill, crappie, carp, gar, trouts, white bass, and anything else I could find.
Bear
I slipped into a local charity bass tournament a few yes back on a local lake and at weigh in had 13.7 lbs, 5 fish limit in the livewell. When they (as they always do) ask what I had used, I broke out the chart/white clouser minnow and the fly rod and was disqualified based on BASS rules governing max rod lenght. It didn't matter. I had a standing bet with one of my bass buddies that I could catch as many on the fly as he could on the standard bass gear and got a six pack out of the deal.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:11 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

I think i started fly-fishing unlike anyone else. when i was around seven my granpa taught me how to cast in a coffined area to start out and then he put a fly rod in my hand and told me to walk out side while he watched from inside, and the reason he stayed inside is because it was downpouring. not the best way to learn but it worked

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 01-07-2009, 06:38 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstick View Post
I slipped into a local charity bass tournament a few yes back on a local lake and at weigh in had 13.7 lbs, 5 fish limit in the livewell. When they (as they always do) ask what I had used, I broke out the chart/white clouser minnow and the fly rod and was disqualified based on BASS rules governing max rod lenght. It didn't matter. I had a standing bet with one of my bass buddies that I could catch as many on the fly as he could on the standard bass gear and got a six pack out of the deal.
Cool, and I agree, as a matter of fact at times i catch more on a fly then other bass gear, there is just somehting natural about a fly that crankbaits, worms and spinners just cant match at times. I have been toying with the idea of buying the new sage bass series since they are under the 8' rule. With todays tiers and ideals there are some great new bass patterns to. Hey maybe Sage would sponser me LOL
take care
Bear
Old 01-07-2009, 07:09 PM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
Cool, and I agree, as a matter of fact at times i catch more on a fly then other bass gear, there is just somehting natural about a fly that crankbaits, worms and spinners just cant match at times. I have been toying with the idea of buying the new sage bass series since they are under the 8' rule. With todays tiers and ideals there are some great new bass patterns to. Hey maybe Sage would sponser me LOL
take care
Bear
Ya just never know. Ole' Sage may just jump at that idea. I sold the bass boat a couple years back in prep for retirement and relocation. Those plans got delayed a couple of years, but I picked up an old tri-hull with a solid engine just to play with for the next couple of years. I've put in a front bass deck and this time I've kept the floor fairly clear of clutter and stuff to keep the fly line from tangling up on stuff. I'm even thinking of a tiller op trolling motor to keep the foot pedal off the deck as well.

Fully agree that sometime the fly catches more. Most likely because is a more realistic action and it's not something that they don't see everyday and get aclimated to.......
Old 01-07-2009, 07:28 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstick View Post
Ya just never know. Ole' Sage may just jump at that idea. I sold the bass boat a couple years back in prep for retirement and relocation. Those plans got delayed a couple of years, but I picked up an old tri-hull with a solid engine just to play with for the next couple of years. I've put in a front bass deck and this time I've kept the floor fairly clear of clutter and stuff to keep the fly line from tangling up on stuff. I'm even thinking of a tiller op trolling motor to keep the foot pedal off the deck as well.

Fully agree that sometime the fly catches more. Most likely because is a more realistic action and it's not something that they don't see everyday and get aclimated to.......
I could live with a boat that says Sage and a fly rod under the logo for sure . I dont know what your wanting to spend but you could put one of the new remote control trolling motors on your boat. Sorry to hear your plans got delayed a couple years.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I moved to NJ from PA when I was 28 yrs old. I mostly spin fished for Bass & Trout. A friend talked me into coming to a CJTU meeting & I won a Flyrod in a raffle. I picked up a reel & line & jumped into the sport with both feet. I met some lifelong buddies in TU & we've fished all over the country..