The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: How old were you when you stared fly fishing?
5-10 11 18.33%
11-20 23 38.33%
21-30 10 16.67%
31-40 5 8.33%
41-50 7 11.67%
51+ 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default When did you start?

I think I started this sport a little late in life. Not that I'm old, but I wish I had started sooner. I had no one really around to teach me anything about fishing, much less fly fishing.

Just wondering how old some of you folks were when you started.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 PM

Fishstick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: When did you start?

1983 while in Ketchikan Alaska with the U.S.C.G. Wanted something a little more of a challenge. No mentors or friends who danced with the fly, so I learned primarily by trial and error on an old 9ft glass fenwick 8wt and a pocket full of mosquitos, black gnats and muddlers sloshing around Ward Creek in hodgman rubber waders searching for bows, cuts and dolly varden without a clue as to what I was doing. Took several weeks before I got lucky enough to actually catch a fish. Sure wish I had the forums and/or a mentor back then, it would have made the learning curve easier.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Early 80's while I was in the Air Force stationed in Colorado Springs. I learned on my own primarily reading books. It definately was the hard way to learn, but I really enjoyed the time on the streams even though it was a long time before I caught my first trout.

Larry
Old 01-06-2009, 10:56 PM

therussian is on a distinguished road

Thinking about it I was in my mid twenties. Its a life long hobby!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:05 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

5-10 which would put it sometime around 1955 to 1960.
Though I fly fished, it was just another way to fish for me back then.
It was in the early '80's that the fly bug bit me bad. So bad I foresake all other forms of fishing since then.
Come to think of it, that ain't so bad at all!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in Brooklyn, and it was TV programs like ABC's Wide World of Sports with fishing segments with Kurt Gowdy and a program called Gadabout Gaddis that got me started. I'd go to the library and go over back issues of Field and Stream, bought a Herter's tying kit and a book by Helen Shaw on tying. I was about 8. No one in my family ever fished, and they all thought I was nuts. They still do.

Had some great adventures in the wilds of Prospect Park (like Central Park but with more gunshots) chasing "trout" (that turned out to be sunfish) and tadpoles and keeping them as pets in the bathtub (until the parental units came home). Spent most of those early days absolutely clueless, but luckily so were the fish. And it was all downhill from there.

peregrines
Old 01-07-2009, 01:53 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Got absolutely hooked on fly fishing at 65. I've already spent too many $$ and haven't even gotten my fly line wet. Tied my sixth fly tonight. Not a pretty sight but for some crazy reason I'm half proud of it. All of the guys at Sportsman Warehouse call me by name and me theirs. About every other night I go there and stand in the fly tying section like a dog watching TV.
Oh, first trip next week and I can't wait to toss my ugly Wooley Bugger.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:43 AM

KRD will become famous soon enough

Started when I was 18. Taught myself how to do it.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:50 AM

jlajoie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
I grew up in Brooklyn, and it was TV programs like ABC's Wide World of Sports with fishing segments with Kurt Gowdy and a program called Gadabout Gaddis that got me started. I'd go to the library and go over back issues of Field and Stream, bought a Herter's tying kit and a book by Helen Shaw on tying. I was about 8. No one in my family ever fished, and they all thought I was nuts. They still do.

Had some great adventures in the wilds of Prospect Park (like Central Park but with more gunshots) chasing "trout" (that turned out to be sunfish) and tadpoles and keeping them as pets in the bathtub (until the parental units came home). Spent most of those early days absolutely clueless, but luckily so were the fish. And it was all downhill from there.

peregrines

Luckily(for me), the Brooklyn trout continue to be clueless!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:30 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

My mom gew up in Fort Colliens CO. and we use to go back out there every year when I was younger, I voted 11-20 but I may have been around 10 come to think of it. The first time I tryed it I was hooked, brought the love back to MO the first year I tried it and figured out how to catch other fish(besides trout), for mnay years, until I got back into tournaments (bass) and guideing and fishing for walleye and stuff all I did was fly fish. Bass ,bluegill, crappie, carp, gar, trouts, white bass, and anything else I could find.
Bear