The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 02:44 PM

roryseiter will become famous soon enoughroryseiter will become famous soon enough
Default First saltwater rod (and reel) recommendations.

I am headed to Bali in April and want to bring some fly gear with me. I haven't found anyone with advice on the fly fishing there, so if anyone has help with that I would also appreciate it.

I went to Mexico last year and borrowed a couple of rods. I used a 9 wt and 10 wt and did most of my fishing from shore. The 9 wt was much easier to cast and I would like to get a rod like that, but what if I hook the monster fish of a lifetime? Do I need a 10 wt (or bigger) just in case? I don't want to compromise the casting comfort (living in Colorado, I typically don't cast very far) of a smaller rod, but what are the advantages and disadvantages of an 8 wt vs. a 12 wt?

Is this one of those eternal questions that keep us buying more of everything?

After I figure out which weight rod I want/need, then I need to figure out a reel!

Thanks all. Also, as a follow up to my "Should I Have Interfered" post that most people seemed to agree with, I posted a video of the adventure. Here it is.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: First saltwater rod (and reel) recommendations.

An 8 will be a bit easier to cast than a 9, but a 9 is still in the range of "all day castable". Once you go to ten and up, its not something you'll want to throw 200 casts with.

Buying a 9 and a 10 doesn't make sense in my book, (though I'll likely eventually own both) so if you're going to buy two rods, do an 8 and a 10.

In Bali you'd want a 12wt to battle the Giant Trevallys, but fishing for them is quite an endeavor. You'll likely have better shots at hooking bonefish and blue trevally. A 9wt Echo ION and a Lamson Konic is a starting point pricewise to chase those.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:25 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First saltwater rod (and reel) recommendations.

Hi Rory,
You really need to know what to expect before you make the trip. You could be fishing for Bonefish, so a 7 or 8 weight would suffice. You could be targeting smaller Trevally or schoolie Dorado. A 9 or 10 weight would be ideal. You can be fishing offshore for small billfish, adult Dorado, Wahoo, or Giant Trevally. A 12 weight would be ideal.

In regards to your question about the advantages and disadvantages of an 8 weight versus a 12 weight, they are the same concepts of fishing a 2 weight and a 6 weight. The difference is just a matter of scale.

Since you are not targeting silly little trout, you are going to need a reel with a solid drag, capacity, and durability. The two most popular brands when it comes to saltwater reels are Abel and Tibor. Both are drawbar style cork drag reels. They don't fail. If you would rather fish a synthetic drag reel, a Hatch Outdoors reel is hard to beat.

MP