The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 10:43 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question Materials for Fly Tying

Good Day to you all,

I don't believe I've ever seen this topic I'm typing on any Thread on this Forum, so here goes.

1. What is the weirdest material you have ever used to tie up a fly ?

2. Where did you find the material ?

3. Does the fly catch fish ?

Let's hear some real good ones.

Tie One On
Old 01-07-2009, 11:10 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Materials for Fly Tying

Dryer Lint makes good fine dubbing. Yes it does catch fish. You can make any color you want depending on the color of clothes you dry.

John
Old 01-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

A cigarette butt and the empty packaging found along a favorite stream. I tied a wet fly out of the litter by adding black, white, and red buck tail. I used the cellophane from the package like crystal flash for trailing material and called the finished fly the Marlboro.

It never caught a fish because I never tried it. It was kind of a poke at litter bugs for me. I still have the fly but posting photos is not working out today, at least not from my console. I'll post when the site will work for me.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:20 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Tap Tapply, who wrote the Tap's Tips column in Field and Stream tied a fly with a wing of milkweed fluff... I've seen one tied, but never made one up myself. The stuff is not as fragile as you might think.

Years ago, there was an old timer in our club who 'tied' some nice looking nymphs made only of electrical tape. I won some in a raffle, they worked fine.

Personally, one material that I've used that comes to mind is latex gloves sliced into strips and wound onto the hook shank for a caddis pupa body.
They look very realistic, but for whatever reason, they don't work a lick
Old 01-07-2009, 12:27 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I used to have a Golden Retriever who would get clumps of fur behind his ears. One day after clipping them I made up some nymphs with the fur & they did catch fish. I've used my present mutts guard hairs for antennas & tails. It partially makes up for the necks he got into....
Old 01-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Fishn50,

Interestingly enough the more realistic of fly I've produced the less attractive they seem to be to fish?

The crayfish pattern that I posted to a thread here look like they could crawl away but lack fish catching appeal.

I had a fishing buddy who tied from patterns adopted by a guy who's name escapes me at this time but he wrote a book. The nymphs looked real buy my friend always used a simple Hare's Ear for fishing. The real looking flies didn't work like the old Hare's Ear?

I have fished mylar bodied streamers here and everywhere for Salmon and Trout and they seem to look like a nice shiny bait fish but can't produce like a Whitlock Sculpin, as a matter of fact I've never caught a fish on the mylar herring patterns. Conversely dragging a Sculpin in the surf produces all sorts of action and swinging one in my favorite river brings some large Trout to shore.

I stick with featherwing streamers and bunny fur comets here and I believe the fish take the streamers for bait fish but always wonder what a Salmon is thinking (or not) when they slam an orange bunny fur comet? No, I don't think they mistake them for eggs because I catch them at the salt on the comets.

Weird huh, realistic = no fish, odd looking or shabby flies = fish?
Old 01-07-2009, 02:37 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road

how about a plastic bag or a lunch bag. its used for scud backs. its really not that weird because im sure alot of people do it but whatever. and i saves you a ton. one package of bags last forever and is the same as a small package of scud backing.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:03 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Fishn50,

Interestingly enough the more realistic of fly I've produced the less attractive they seem to be to fish?

Weird huh, realistic = no fish, odd looking or shabby flies = fish?
Not weird at all
I firmly believe that the more detail a fly has, the easier it is for a fish to tell it's a fraud
If realistic flies worked a lick, we'd all be fishing with mass produced rubber nymphs
Old 01-07-2009, 04:01 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

HAMSTER hair lol, the kids had one years ago and I cut some of the longer belly hair from it and tied some little streamers that were kinda gray/brown color. Used the hamster hair for the tail and wing, and yes I caught fish on them, crappie, gills and smaller bass.
Bear
Old 01-07-2009, 04:42 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Not to weird of a material, but a bit messy.

Roadkill.