The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2005, 08:10 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default Fly Fishing & Fly Shops in England

My wife & I will be travelling to England in late April to visit my youngest daughter who will be "studying abroad" at a college in Ormskirk (spelling ? ) England. I was wondering if anyone has ever had the opportunity to fly fish in England. I will not be taking any of my gear, but was wondering if anyone knows of a Fly Shop there I might be able to visit while there. I've often heard that fly fishing may have had some of it's roots there, so I thought if I could visit a shop, or view a small trout stream that would add to my trip. If I find an awesome shop I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Tie One On
Old 11-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly Fishing & Fly Shops in England

There are plenty of great shops over there that will open your eyes to lots of new techniques and different takes on fly fishing compared to what we do over here. Davy Wotton will be your best source of info here, as he is originally from the UK and has fished quite profusively over there.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:08 PM

DAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enoughDAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly Fishing & Fly Shops in England

Please excuse my delay in response. I have had a hectic past 4 weeks guiding and with the schools, no time for much else, not even got to go kill a deer as yet.

Ok, l can help you with all you need so far as the UK is concerned, Locations for fishing, rivers, lakes, lochs etc. Fly shops and dealers there.
I have fished all over that country in my lifetime there. England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

The UK fly fishing scene is a very different one to that you know here for many reasons.
The water systems differ a great deal and many of the techniques used there differ somewhat to what you may well know here in the USA.
Particularly for the lakes and stillwater systems.

Most rivers contain wild Brown trout, and many of the lakes do also.
Rainbows are stocked in both man made and natural lake systems.
Rivers vary from small rain fed systems, (free stone) to very large rivers systems that are influenced by both rain fall catchment and also outflow from lakes or resevoir systems above the headwaters.
There are very few tailwaters as you know them here.
There are no warmwater species in UK waters, but there are some that trout are not found in for one reason of the other.

Access to fish is normally by way of purchasing a day permit from the leasing agent for that water or by a daily fishing permit, such as you would find on many of the public resevoir systems.
There is no shortage of available water to fish, dispite the American train of thought that it is all private, no more so than state water here that you have to obtain a state licence for to fish.

Let me know the exact location that you will reside at while in the UK and l will give you some further details to follow up with.

April to May can be very good there in the UK, but you may also have some adverse weather conditions at that time.

Davy Wotton

AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS OF FLY FISHING

WHITE RIVER FLY FISHISHING GUIDE SERVICE

EDITORIAL AND CONSULTANCY FOR FLY FISHING PRODUCTS-PUBLICATIONS