The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 02:15 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road
Default Rigging a furled leader

I've heard so much about "furled leaders" that I bought a couple from FeatherCraft. But I'm not sure how to rig them.

Do you just tie the appropriate tippet right to the little ring that's on the tippet end, i.e., if you want the end to be a 5x tippet and you need three feet to create the leader length you want, do you simply tie 3 feet of 5x tippet on. Or do you build it with drecreasing tippet sizes, say 3x to 4x to 5 x.

Also, does anyone besides me find the little rings funky or not particularly streamlined? Someone who's familiar with this tackle should write an article: "The Use and Misuse of Furled Leaders."

Alligator
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 01-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rigging a furled leader

Alligator

I'm no expert on furled leaders, just started using them this summer. I think the answer to your question is that it depends on the length of the leader. For example, I use a 9 ft furled leader and then attach an 18" tippet. On the other hand, if I was using a 5 ft furled leader I think it would be prudent to added some varing size tippet in the middle then adding the final size say 5x or 6x tippet.

Initially I thought the little ring would be an issue, but haven't found that to be the case at all. The ring really makes changing out the tippet a breeze and I can't tell if it makes any real difference in the way it casts. I've become really fond of the way the furled leader will turn over. It really casts nice.

Larry
Old 01-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
I've heard so much about "furled leaders" that I bought a couple from FeatherCraft. But I'm not sure how to rig them.

Do you just tie the appropriate tippet right to the little ring that's on the tippet end, i.e., if you want the end to be a 5x tippet and you need three feet to create the leader length you want, do you simply tie 3 feet of 5x tippet on. Or do you build it with drecreasing tippet sizes, say 3x to 4x to 5 x.

Also, does anyone besides me find the little rings funky or not particularly streamlined? Someone who's familiar with this tackle should write an article: "The Use and Misuse of Furled Leaders."

Alligator

Hi ALLIGATOR AWWWW DON"T BIT ME! LOL

I make furled leaders and sell allot. Mine are made out of thread and mono. I am not familiar with Feather Crafts, but I can tell some things about mine.
First off, there is the SHORB loop at the end that connects to the line in a loop to loop (hand shake) style.
I make mine in 5', 5 1/2', and 6' lengths in different tapers for line weight. (ex: 2 - 4, 4 - 6, 6 - 8) I have even made bigger ones. I also make some with kevlar for both strength and sinking.

I use to make mine with the shorb loop on the tippet end, but found they don't last as long as the tippet cuts into the leader after time, so the rings are fantastic.
RINGS: There are several sizes. Again I don't know about Feather Craft. I use 2 mm wich is about the size of a #16 hook eye and a 3 mm which is about the size of a #12. Bigger rings are required for heavier leaders as there will be more material going through the ring.

Now you can attach as much tippet to them as you want. No need to tapper the tippet. I have used 5' of tippet on a 5' furled and it laid down very nice. If you think it will help, then by all means try it, but I have never need to.

Hopefully you will love the heck out of them and if you want to try one in UNI THREAD, give me a shout.

J
Old 01-09-2009, 03:57 PM

Greenwood will become famous soon enoughGreenwood will become famous soon enough

Good deal.......I was going to post to this thread earlier but figured 'Don't bother'...Joni will jump on this one!'

....... I've been using (Joni's) furled leaders for about a year now. I think you'll really like them. The only time I ever 'taper' one is if I'm fishing wets/softhackles and I want a dropper set up. Then, I may use something like 2 feet of 4x; use a double surgeons knot and and about 18 inches of 5x; leave the tag end of the 4x hang and use it for the dropper. Works great, and with flourocarbon, I can usually go a little heavier in the tippet sizes. You can keep a separate furled leader greased up and stored separately to use for your dry fly presentations.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:04 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

I've been making my own for maybe 3 years now. Never went back to mono, except for northern pike and longnose gar. You won't regret using them. Only grease them from time to time. I tie 6-8'' of 3X tippet at the end using a loop to loop connection and tie the tippet at the end of that. I'll try to find those small rings to try out, right now I just whip a loop at the end.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:39 AM

Jim M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Hi ALLIGATOR AWWWW DON"T BIT ME! LOL

I make furled leaders and sell allot. Mine are made out of thread and mono. I am not familiar with Feather Crafts, but I can tell some things about mine.
First off, there is the SHORB loop at the end that connects to the line in a loop to loop (hand shake) style.

Hopefully you will love the heck out of them and if you want to try one in UNI THREAD, give me a shout.

J
Joni -

How does one go about buying some of your leaders? Do you have a website?

Thanks - Jim
Old 01-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
Joni -

How does one go about buying some of your leaders? Do you have a website?

Thanks - Jim
pm me here and I will describe them and price to you.
Thank you.
Joni
Old 01-10-2009, 11:26 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Joni
A while back there was plans for making a furled leader making jig posted on the site, I was thinking on giving it a try but never did. Joni What do you use for thread, & is one easier to work with than the other? I was thinking of using 2 lb. stren, is that too thick?? I'm out on disability so have the time to fiddle around with light stuff & I'm getting bored out of my skull. I've already refilled all my flyboxes, made a new tying bench, & now I,m looking for other FISHING related stuff to do. Notice I said fishing stuff because the wife always has some of the other stuff to do,,, but first things first.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
Joni
A while back there was plans for making a furled leader making jig posted on the site, I was thinking on giving it a try but never did. Joni What do you use for thread, & is one easier to work with than the other? I was thinking of using 2 lb. stren, is that too thick?? I'm out on disability so have the time to fiddle around with light stuff & I'm getting bored out of my skull. I've already refilled all my flyboxes, made a new tying bench, & now I,m looking for other FISHING related stuff to do. Notice I said fishing stuff because the wife always has some of the other stuff to do,,, but first things first.
I don't think 2lb is too heavy, in fact it will be about right. I prefer UNI Thread in 6/0, and step- up to 3/0 for heavier. But UNI also makes UNI-MONO in 4m. That is awesome stuff.
I tried Danvilles, but it is much harder to work with and I think it is smaller diameter than Uni. Also COATS & CLARK has Nylon in .005 that works great!
The problem with MONO is it is going to be stiffer than Thread.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Joni,

Have you considered using a braided Spectra® Fiber. It is not clear like mono but it is super strong for the diameter. It also floats. I have some of the 10 pound that is .006 if you want to experiment with it. It also comes in .005 that is 8 pound test. It is not cheap but may be great for Steelhead or Saltwater. Maybe the color is a problem? This stuff has very little memory and is soft.

Frank