The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fishing lanyards

Fysh: I'm going to give your suggstion a try. I really like wearing mine, but it tends to get in the way while I'm rowing the boat. Never thought of something as simple as a safety pin, that might be just the ticket. Thanks.

Larry
Old 01-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I have used one for the last couple years.Morning Star Lanyards fly fishing lanyards with a retractor It took a little getting used to but I won't fish without it now, the ease of use and it's lightweight make it much nicer on those hot days than the old vest. Nothing against vest as I do still use one and they certainly have there place.

The only thing I have had issues with is how it hangs in your way at times when you bend over, but that is easily remedied with one of those slightly oversized heavy duty Safety Pins, all you need to do is pin that onto your shirt and the bottom of the lanyard and it will stay put.
I think morningstar's lanyards now come with a small clip to attach it to your shirt so it stays put while leaning over, etc.

I've thought about getting one so I wouldn't have so much stuff hanging off my butt pack. It would definitely give quicker access to nippers, and such.

For all these features, and being made in the USA, I don't think $27 is bad at all:
Morning Star Lanyards Standard Features:

•Quick Release Safety Breakaway disengages under a load

•Comfortable and supportive nylon neck band

•Black, vinyl coated, stainless steel cable, that retains it's distinctive "hoop" shape under a load

•Five quality swivels for attaching fly fishing accessories

•Unique handcrafted beads, suitable for both men and women

•Stainless steel clip secures lanyard to fishing shirt

•Retractor, Neoprene Fly Patch and Stainless Tippet Spool Holder

•Handcrafted in the USA

(from their site)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:34 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
I think morningstar's lanyards now come with a small clip to attach it to your shirt so it stays put while leaning over, etc.
So THAT'S what that small clip is for on my lanyard!!! I'm such an idiot. I've been wondering for a year now what the heck I was supposed to attach with that. Little did I know it was me.

The one probbly non-standard item I've added to my lanyard is a magnet. Good for quickly, temporarily holding flies, forceps, etc.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Be right back I'm gonna go get my lanyard and see how well it works.........Well I'll be dipped! The little clip does work for the intended purpose.

I've looked at that clip and thought it would of came in handy years ago for holding something else while being streamside. lol

Thanks Cliff for pointing that out, I had no idea.
Think I'm gonna give you some rep Cliff.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 PM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I've looked at that clip and thought it would of came in handy years ago for holding something else while being streamside. lol

Thanks Cliff for pointing that out, I had no idea.
Think I'm gonna give you some rep Cliff.
I'm glad I'm not alone. And I, too, send out some rep to Cliff!!!!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:01 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have been complaining that when I wear my wading jacket the vest seems like too much and said I was thinking about getting one of the lanyards - well, the better half beat me to it, she had to go to cabelas to get a tackle box for her bead crafting stuff and bought me a mayfly lanyard, she said she could have made me one, and may still do so cause she thinks she can make a nicer looking one, but she had so many other projects in the fire she figured I would buy one before she got it made so she bought it while she was there.

Now, heres the problem, the lanyard will hold 3 tools, Nippers, forceps, magnetic hook threader, two of which I usually have on a zinger, but not a zinger in sight on the lanyard. Do you find a need for zingers with your lanyards or is it easy enuf to get by without them? If you use zingers, which ones do you use? I had one break on me the other day and lost a pair of nippers to the river so I am thinking I want a decent "cable" one if I am going to get one.

Dave
Old 04-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I don't like them do to everything dangling on them even with it pinned to my shirt. The forceps always seem to be in the way. I will stick with a small chest back when I want to go light.

Frank
Old 04-06-2009, 08:17 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Now, heres the problem, the lanyard will hold 3 tools, Nippers, forceps, magnetic hook threader, two of which I usually have on a zinger, but not a zinger in sight on the lanyard. Do you find a need for zingers with your lanyards or is it easy enuf to get by without them? If you use zingers, which ones do you use? I had one break on me the other day and lost a pair of nippers to the river so I am thinking I want a decent "cable" one if I am going to get one.

Dave[/QUOTE]

I don't use any zingers on mine. I let the nippers dangle about 2" and put a small leather tab on one of the lanyard swivels and clamp my forcepts to that. A lanyard and a William Josephs Satchel has turned out to be my go to river set up after trying both a vest, too hot; and fanny pak, just didn't work for me.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:45 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Since I do a lot of fishing just 20 minutes from the house, I am thinking the same, generally, with waders, boots, wading staff, flies, nippers, forceps, float/sink, microshots, hook threader, and a rod, I am good to go, especially if I am stopping for an hour or two after work. This way I don't have to carry around my full vest for a quick fishing trip. I can hook my net to my wading staff belt if needed or not use one. I C&R anyway so no big deal if I lose one because I didnt have a net.

d
Old 07-01-2009, 08:33 AM

sesro1978 is on a distinguished road

Hi-

This thread is a couple months old now, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in anyway...

I just started using a lanyard and a fishing shirt (shirt wasn't strictly intended for fishing by the manufacturer...) and I love it. The shirt has large bellows, Velcro close pockets. These easily accommodate 3 or 4 average size fly boxes, some strike indicators, sink putty (for deep nymphing), and a thermo. I hang my forceps, nippers, small fly box, tippet from the lanyard. Works well for me!!

-S