The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 03:55 PM

i want to catch fish will become famous soon enough
Default fishing lanyards

was wondering if anyone really uses these and the pros and cons on them
looking to buy one bc i am tired of reaching in my chest pack to get stuff so if you dont mind sending me a link on one

btw dont wanted to spend a ton of money if you konw what i mean
Old 01-09-2009, 04:06 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fishing lanyards

I made mine out of wooden beads and large snap swivels strung on lawn trimmer cord....ya gotta heat the knot on the trimmer cord to get it to draw tight
Took about 10 minutes, saved about $25
Old 01-09-2009, 04:15 PM

ok now did you look online on how to make it or experiment with it
Old 01-09-2009, 08:51 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

Got one for X-MAS. I am trying it out sunday.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:31 PM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road

Hey Riptide,

how about some pictures of your creation?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 PM

kayakangler is on a distinguished road

I made one on the cheap using wooden beads and large snap swivels. I used a stretch cord for the necklace and a toggle to adjust the length. I made one for myself, my son and my fishing buddy. Total cost about $12. All materials were acquired at Walmart. It's OK, but I find I use it mostly when I'm fishing from my boat or kayak. Usually to give me quick access to nippers and floatant. On the stream I prefer the chest pack or a vest.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:17 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

I use one as I tend to fish "light" when on my home waters. Forceps, nippers, some floatant and some tippet. Don't need much more when I'm close to home and know what to expect.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:42 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I made one up for wetwading & love it. I used 2 of those break away I.D. badge lanyards, wooden beads,lg. snap swivels & pieces of foam tubing for the back of the neck. I've hung a waterproof, small flybox from it & went really deep wading with it. More like swimwading. The lanyards I used are made of heavy parachute cord & have a peice of rubber tubing holding the breakaway section together. I used the lanyards only because I had them around & wanted to make the rig breakaway & there they were.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:29 PM

ok thank you to all i found a couple of web sites that show you how to make them so i am going to try it
Old 01-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I have used one for the last couple years.Morning Star Lanyards fly fishing lanyards with a retractor It took a little getting used to but I won't fish without it now, the ease of use and it's lightweight make it much nicer on those hot days than the old vest. Nothing against vest as I do still use one and they certainly have there place.

The only thing I have had issues with is how it hangs in your way at times when you bend over, but that is easily remedied with one of those slightly oversized heavy duty Safety Pins, all you need to do is pin that onto your shirt and the bottom of the lanyard and it will stay put.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*