The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 05:38 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about
Default fly tying kits

This spring I want to get started on fly fishing and this winter looking to try and tie flies. I was wondering what would be a good kit for a beginner?
Old 01-09-2009, 06:04 PM

basher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: fly tying kits

first off how much do you want to spend? and where are you in the country because that dictates what stores you can get from or from the internet for faster shipping.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

If you’re in MA, the best thing to do would be to consider joining a local chapter of Trout Unlimited. It will take years off the learning curve. Most chapters have beginning fly tying classes, casting clinics etc, and if you’re new to fly Fishing, you’ll get a ton of advice about where to go, techniques to use, hatches, get to participate in group expeditions to local and further off long-weekend type fishing trips, and get a chance to try out different gear during informal casting sessions on the lawn before meetings. And you'll get a chance to try out gear owned by other tyers, learn all kinds of tying tips and tricks and get hands on help. You can use this link to locate a Trout Unlimited chapter near you:
Council/Chapter Search | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

FlyFisher45

As far as kits go, many of us started off that way. But you’d be better off sinking a few more dollars into a decent vise and tools and buying materials for a few proven, easy to tie patterns at a time. 30-100 dollar kits usually come with an 10 dollar imported vise (soft metal jaws, poorly machined parts), some inexpensive tools, and a small amount of a lot of different materials -usually not enough for the patterns you need plus other stuff that you won’t use. If you stick with tying, you’d likely want to upgrade everything fairly soon.

Depending on your budget, you could put together a decent to rocking set up to get you off to a great start. The difference between decent and great would be in the quality of the vise and to a lesser extent the tools.

If you throw out a budget, and the types of fish you’ll be chasing, folks can chime in with specific recommendations, but a ball park range is roughly:

Vise 35-150 with the lower end being no frills vises that you may want to upgrade for more functionality, but are sturdy and well made. At higher end are quality vises that you might be likely to move to anyway if you stick with tying. And there are many choices in between.

Tools 12-60 bucks. Musts are 4” scissors with fine point and a bobbin to hold thread. Bodkin, whip finisher, hackle pliers, hairstacker, bobbin threader are nice to haves . The quality of some tools- (scissors and bobbin) is more critical than others, some you can easily make yourself (bodkin, threader) others may not be necessary depending what/how you tie. For 12 bucks you could buy an inexpensive imported pair of scissors and a bobbin with a metal tube that you would want to upgrade soon. For 60 you could get a set of quality tools (essentials plus nice to haves) that would last a lifetime.

Materials- 30-40 bucks would buy 3 different 25 packs of decent hooks and materials to tie 3 or so basic patterns. For trout, say Woolly Buggers size 8, and Hares Ear Nymphs and Pheasant Tail Nymphs in 14-16. These patterns are easy to tie, use the same material for tons of other patterns, and most of all, they catch fish. You’ll have a lot of material left over after tying a dozen of each. If you were chasing other fish- bass or salt water, the patterns and materials might change, but the cost would be the same for 3 different basic patterns.

From here on out, you’d be adding more materials and a tool here and there as opposed to adding all of the above very soon after you bought a kit.

This recent thread, and the embedded links, might be helpful, and has some specific recommendations for brands and models:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...lies-8246.html

Poke around on some of those links, and keep coming back with more questions. There are a lot of great tyers here that can help get you off to a good start.

peregrines
Old 01-10-2009, 07:38 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Thank you, I'm going to try to find the local chapter of trout unlimited. On equipment where is a good place to get the vise and everything else that I need to tie flies with?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:58 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Another thought is to seek out an FFF club in your area. The FFF is more aimed towards fly fishing education and if the club is any good at all, they'll have tying kits to use and good instructors to teach you. Besides tying they're usually good at sharing the knowledge of all things fly fishing related.
Here's a link... I'm not familiar with your area, but hopefully one of these clubs is close to you:
Locate a Club
Old 01-10-2009, 08:11 AM

Thank you, I just checked out the FFF site and didn't find any clubs near me.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:28 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Just bought a kit. I would echo what is said about buying your tools individually. All tools in my kit have either been replaced or will be replaced. For example, the bobbin broke on day one. The new bobbin is a dream. Hackle pliers had to have sharp edges filed day one.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:44 AM

Any sugestions on brands and best places to purchase vises and supplies from?
Old 01-12-2009, 05:15 AM

jams002 is on a distinguished road

what do you mean of that fly tying kits,, what kind of kits is this??

Old 01-12-2009, 09:15 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

I'm just beginning my second season fly fishing and am starting to tie some of my own flies, still havn't cought anything on one I tied but that will come.
I found the best place to familiarize myself with both tools and materials is the Cabelas website.

I have a Peak Vice which I like very much and doubt I'd ever need to upgrade.

Dr. Slick (a brand of tools) has a tool kit with all the tools Paragrines mentioned, all good quality.

I bought a material kit from Cabelas to get me started and have then been adding to it from my local fly shop as needed.

If you tie near you computer, Google is a great source for fly tying instructions, just search tying instruction for the desired fly.

Hope this helps...