The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 06:45 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about
Default Equipment

Where is the best place to get equipment, whether it be rods, waders, fly tying equipment? Not to many shops near me. How is Bass Pro or Cabela's. Just starting out and I want to get good equipment and not get taken.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:26 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Equipment

You're one lucky dude
You live near Cote's Fly Shop
Some of the nicest people in the business
I've never been to the shop myself but over the years I've purchased a great deal of stuff from them at various fly and sportsman shows.
cotesflyshop.biz - Cote's Fly Shop
Old 01-10-2009, 07:31 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Yes that is in the town next door. I will definately go there. There is a place in Worc The lower forty haven't been in there yet. going to check it out. Have you heard of it.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:40 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Heard of it, never been there.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:59 AM

Working in Worc today may check it out.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:33 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Please support your local shops instead of Cabelas.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:35 AM

Cooler00 is on a distinguished road

Hi 45,

You can shop around on the web and find good deals on pretty much anything, but there's really no substitute for personally checking out the equipment. It's a great idea to build up a relationship with a local shop(s), they can provide specific advise, tips, tricks, etc... for whatever your personal interests are. That's been a great help for me just starting out this past year.

Scott
Old 01-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Flyfisher45-

Not sure how much of a haul it is for you from Spencer, but these guys have a nice selection Blue Northern Trading Company in Ayer MA, and there is/was a fly shop in Great Barrington (smaller selection). Haven't been to either in a few years but they were both helpful when I was last up that way.

As others have said, the advantage of a going to a fly shop, in person, is that you get help from experienced staff and can actually eyeball stuff before you buy. They're also much more willing to take you out back and let you cast a few different rods, show you how to tie a few patterns, help you pick out the right materials, and of course share a lot of knowledge about fishing local water.

The only downside compared to the huge mega=stores is that they will carry less stuff in terms of the range of brands and models of stuff they stock. But most fly shops will carry a range of options at different prices points, with prices that are comparable for the same brand/item as the big shops.

If you did find that you needed to go on-line for what ever reason, there are also a number of fly shops with knowledgeable staff that would be a better bet than the megastores. You could call on their 800 numbers and have them help pick out stuff for tying based on what patterns you want to tie (as an example) rather than try and pick out stuff on-line yourself (from a bewildering array of choices) or try and get advice from someone that has no experience fly fishing/tying over the phone from an order taker at a megastore. Fly shops have gone the way of the dodo around here, so i do a lot of ordering online from fly shops like that. (If you want recommendations feel free to PM me.)

If you're looking for specific advice on gear, feel free to ask here, you'll get tons of feedback. It helps if you include a budget since there is a ton of choices.

There are also a lot of fly fishing shows coming up soon, including this one in Marlborough MA next weekend:
Marlborough, MA

It's a great opportunity to see a lot of products, wander into free seminars, watch casting and tying demos, and meet other fly fishers. They will also be reps from major vendors as well as booths from local MA shops selling all kinds of stuff and many fly fishing orgs/clubs like TU Chapters etc. Highly recommended.

Good luck,

peregrines
Old 01-11-2009, 04:49 AM

I would much rather do business with a smaller shop then say Cabelas, never been pleased with them on anything. I will try out a few of the places around me and try to attend the fly fishing show this weekend. Is there a website on it so I can get the times?
Old 01-11-2009, 07:50 AM

Cooler00 is on a distinguished road

Hoping to make it up there myself

Marlborough, MA