The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2005, 09:04 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis
Default Grrrrr!!!

Well, winter hit with a vengeance last night. Was sitting at my friends house playing some poker when he looked out the windown and said HOLY S#IT!!! I looked out to see about five inches of snow on the ground. I hate this time of year. I hate ice in my line guides. I hate five pounds of wet snow sticking to the felt on my boots. I hate freezing solid before making it to the car after going down in the river. I hate not being able to feel my fingers and having to still tye on a size 28 midge. I hate that my line is like a slinky in this weather. I hate that I have to wear fourty seven layers of clothing and I am still cold. I hate that every breath I take fogs my glasses. I hate that a fish rarely rised in the winter and then when a hatch does happen it is over before I can change flies. I HATE THE SNOW.

But, I love what it does to my rivers in the spring and the fishing it assures me every year.

Oh yeah, I FREAKING HATE THIS SNOW!
Old 11-27-2005, 10:14 PM

JBinUTAH will become famous soon enoughJBinUTAH will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Grrrrr!!!

Guess I need to take you snowmobiling. Nothing like the smell of two-stroke early in the morning.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:44 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

i second the motion on hating winter. was planning on going out fishing today. no snow just rain and the ever dreadful wind that we've been getting.(30 mph gust +) where i'm at there isn't to much fishing once the lakes freeze up.(don't ice fish at all) the rivers around me pretty much dry up this time of the year and if they don't there so full of snags that it isn't funny. the creeks are all blocked off by the farmers to allow there fields to flood out for the duck hunters. just love this time of year myself. as far as the snowmobiling sounds great just need a sled.(and snow)
Old 11-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Well y'all could just move to the south where this is about the only time of year a body of water stays cold enough for trout to survive.

Curtis, check out http://zealoptics.com/. They do polarized goggles that are ventilated really well that might help your fogging problem. Would keep half of your face warmer too. They're based in Moab and are great folks.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:27 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

what and give up all this lovely weather.(lol) you're nuts. here in northern in. right now nasty rain and windy again.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:14 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Curtis,

I too had the fogging glasses trouble while hunting & fishing. Try getting some contacts, they work great for me. Just pop them in, grab the sunglasses & your off. I live in Michigan & I can related when it comes to snow, but I love the stuff. We had 6-8 inches for Thanksgiving. I'm hoping to get out this weekend for a steelhead hunt in one of my favorite rivers.

Tie One On
Old 11-29-2005, 07:35 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

I also hate the winter.. It is freezing here.. Brrrrr..
Old 12-01-2005, 10:07 AM

JBinUTAH will become famous soon enoughJBinUTAH will become famous soon enough
Angry Re: Grrrrr!!!

This link is to a live webcam located just outside the Box Canyon on the Henry's Fork. I was supposed to leave today for Island Park but very heavy snow has grounded me. Thats some cold fishing right now. Just thought you southerners would enjoy.
I agree with Curtis today, GRRRRRR!

http://www.rainbw.com/
Old 05-29-2006, 11:15 AM

donk is on a distinguished road

Move to Florida! Live on a lake and fish 365 days /yr. I do, but am retired. I moved here 20+ yr ago and never regreted it.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Nah. Like trout too much. Don't have a desire to fish the warm waters really.