The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 01:46 PM

Leahcim is on a distinguished road
Default Ultimate Trout Fly

I was down at my local fly shop chatting with some old codger about what fly was working. He pointed at 3" long San Juan worm with a gold bead, I said "that's almost like cheating", he nodded. Well "how ya fishing it", I inquire. He points at a "strike indicator" about the size of a dime. So i head to the river with a couple of each and decide to carry this technique a little further. I turned over some rocks and got a big handful of night crawlers, mash them to a pulp between two rocks and stuff them in my fly dressing bottle. I caught the #%&# out of fish, looked cool,and was still able to sneer at the bait fishers.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:15 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ultimate Trout Fly

Ok, i am probly gona start a fire here, but
First why is a sanjuan almost like cheating? Thats like saying a al flies that look like bugs is cheating, is a fly that looks like a grasshopper less like cheating? Its all the same you are makeing lures that look like bugs out of feathers, cheniel and what ever.
And mashing up crawlers and putting them on your flie is cheating , you might as well been bait fishing.
And may be against the law if your in fly only water.
And second why snear at bait fishermen, just because they fish diffrent then you or me, some may bait fish simply becuase they cant fly fish due to bad knees, heart problems( easier to walk down to the river set down and throw a line out), breathing problems, or maybe the dont have the money to drop 150-1,000 on fly gear.
And third with all the folks now days that would like to see hunting and FISHING outlawed why would we dog other folks that enjoy the same things we just in a diffrent way?
I know some people that use bait dont belive in catch and relese and they are not good to the fish that they dont keep(rough handling) but my friend I have seen many fly fisherman that are worse.
Anyway I am glad you had fun and caught a mess of fish, but at leats the folks useing bait didnt HIDE it by putting it in their floating bottle then act like they were better.
For the record I fly fish MOST of the time, but if I want to just set and relaxe your damn right I'll pick up my spinning rod and jar of power bait or box of worms, spinners, crankbaits how ever I feel like fishing at the time
Bear
Old 01-11-2009, 02:21 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

when I used to run some pay-to-fish ponds, I chum the water with Purina Trout Food when kids from the 'special' school would come to fish
......you win, how special
Old 01-11-2009, 02:49 PM

KRD will become famous soon enough

yeah, you say that the San Juan worm is cheating, but you mashed nightcrawler? I am going to say in my eyes the mashing of nightcrawlers is cheating. At least the San Juan worm is artificial. In fact I used some this morning.

To each his own, glad you caught fish.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:09 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahcim View Post
I was down at my local fly shop chatting with some old codger about what fly was working. He pointed at 3" long San Juan worm with a gold bead, I said "that's almost like cheating", he nodded. Well "how ya fishing it", I inquire. He points at a "strike indicator" about the size of a dime. So i head to the river with a couple of each and decide to carry this technique a little further. I turned over some rocks and got a big handful of night crawlers, mash them to a pulp between two rocks and stuff them in my fly dressing bottle. I caught the #%&# out of fish, looked cool,and was still able to sneer at the bait fishers.
Hardly anything to brag about.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Pete,

At 66 do you qualify as a codger? Just wondering

Ard
Old 01-11-2009, 03:38 PM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Pete,

At 66 do you qualify as a codger? Just wondering

Ard
You have to ask after reading my posts?

You didn't like my post?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

To everyone,

My remark was to point out that unless doing so in the vein of humor, referring to someone as "an old codger" could be misunderstood as a disrespectful language.

I hope we can avoid this type of characterization in posts.

Ardster
Old 01-11-2009, 05:54 PM

Leahcim is on a distinguished road

This old codger was just funnin with yall
Old 01-11-2009, 06:10 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

just the picture I get in my mind of someone mashing up some worms and stuffing it in there fly dressing bottle has me busting a gut here! my insides hurt from laughing so hard. haha!! seriously tho. next time just use the san juan worm but without the "secret" sauce. you will prolly still catch alot of fish. if you still insist on using "bait" dressing. then I would suggest too just hook up a worm thats not mashed on a hook and fish that way instead. wouldn't be so messy.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.