The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 12:53 PM

bsco03 is on a distinguished road
Default Westphal Bass Bugs

Hi my name is brian and i was wondering if anyone had information about Westphal Bass Bugs. pricing, colors, sizes, anything and everything. please feel free contact me at bsco03@yahoo.com or post here. im just looking for all the information i can get right now.

Brian
Old 01-11-2009, 02:16 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of
Default Re: Westphal Bass Bugs

I tried google, typed in 'westphal bass bugs' and did'nt come up with much that would help ya, sorry, my son collects old lures and fishing gear and flies I'll look through his books and if I come up with something I'll let ya know
Bear
Old 01-11-2009, 03:43 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Bear
I think Mr bsco03 is making a backhanded sales pitch
Old 01-11-2009, 04:09 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

AHHH, LOL the pain meds must have been kicking in
Old 01-11-2009, 07:14 PM

How could i be making a backhanded sales pitch if i have no information about the flys. and if i am making a sales pitch then would you like any if i am able to find any and get enough information about them to make a sound transaction with you. Maybe it is possible that i have a few like 2 in my house but i have no clue what they are all about which is why i am looking for information.

please keep helping all you can thank you everyone

Brian
Old 01-12-2009, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forum. It is easy to assume you were a spammer since this was your first post. Most members introduce themselves before asking questions. We do get spammers that ask about their product and then come back with a sales pitch. NAFFF apologizes if we were mistaken.

Why don't you tell us about yourself? Where do you fish and how long have you been fishing? Do you tie flies?

Frank
Old 01-12-2009, 05:19 PM

Leahcim is on a distinguished road

Joyce Westphal flies
Old 01-18-2009, 03:17 PM

ok my name is Brian Scott. i dont really fly fish however my father does seldomly. we mainly fish in New Jersey and i am new to forums. now my main question is about the Westphal Bass Bug because that was my Great-Grandfather and i was wondering if anyone knows anything about them or is looking for any because i have maybe 3 or 4 bugs and was wondering if there are collectors out there or something
Old 01-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Brian-

I've never heard of the "Westphal Bass Bug", and a quick google only turned up some more recent stuff by Joyce Westphal. Maybe you could post a pic?

My uneducated guess is that these might be more of a family heirloom kind of thing... if these were tied by my great grandfather, I'd want to keep them in the family to pass along to my kids....and grand kids... some day.

I could be wrong, but I'm thinkin' they may have more sentimental value for his family members than monetary value to strangers as collector items...

Anyway, I'd like to see a pic of some out of curiosity if you could post them.

Peregrines
Old 01-18-2009, 05:10 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

In the late '20s and the '30s there were dozens of commercially available bass bugs, but I don't think they command the prices of lures of the same age.
Some popular ones that I've heard of are Tuttle's Devil Bug, the Henshall Bug, Pechinpaugh's Night Bug, the Cal-Mac Moth, the Gerbubble Bug and the Messenger Frog.
An early bass fishing book that may have more information for you is
Bass Bug Fishing by Joe Brooks (1941)