The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2010, 10:18 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Where is a good place to order flies?

I do frequently buy from local fly shops, but I don't have a vast knowledge of flies. So when I read about a good fly, I would like to be able to go online and order a few (with no shipping), what are some good online stores?

thanks for the info,

flymoron
Old 11-18-2010, 10:38 AM

riverwalker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where is a good place to order flies?

I've bought several batches from reelflies and I'm quite impressed with the service and quality.

ReelFlies.ca ** Fishing Flies, Trout Flies, Fly Fishing Flies, Fly Shop.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:50 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Here is a previous thread from this summer with lots of online suggestions. I know there was another one but this one has the most thoughts and suggestions.

Suggestions for On-Line Fly Supply
Old 11-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what you're looking for in terms of type of fly and quality.

There are discount flies that range form $0.50-1.00 a piece for trout flies. These may not be tied very well, have proportions that are a bit out of whack like fat dubbed bodies on dries, or use materials and colors that are a bit odd for the pattern-- they generally are not as well tied as the $1.75-2.00 flies from a local fly shop, or from other online sellers- meaning not as durable, and having a tendency to unravel-- but if --- like many of use -- you're still hanging a lot of flies in trees, or if you are looking for simple flies like buggers and weighted nymphs that there's a tendency to lose on the bottom, or super simple stuff like egg flies, then a discount flies might make more sense. But the quality of the flies you get can vary quite a bit by the pattern, even from the same discount company.

The quality of discount dry flies especially can vary a lot -- you might try a couple generic patterns-- elk hair caddis, adams parachute etc, but generally I've found the quality of flies from cabelas, orvis, and online fly shops (as opposed to discounters), and the flies stocked by fly shops (even though they may have been tied overseas) that sell for $1.75 or so to be much better than the discount flies sold for $0.50 -1.00

Where it makes less sense is when you are looking for flies to match local hatches, like the XYZ hatch on your local river--- in that case you'd be better off getting flies TIED LOCALLY from your fly shop and paying a bit extra.

By the way, if you're looking for a general assortment of trout flies, the Orvis 20 flies for $9.95 promotion deal that pops up in the banner ad on this site, is a very good deal--- well tied flies, and very well known and effective patterns that catch trout all over the world.

And here's another link for discounters:

Discount Flies??

And then there's the whole issue of fly tying---- you might want to look into that--- though it's no way to actually save money-- but if you're looking for another fun expensive hobby....

Feel free to keep asking questions and good luck
siege likes this.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:46 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

bigyfly.com
Old 11-18-2010, 06:26 PM

fearnofishbob will become famous soon enoughfearnofishbob will become famous soon enough

Try Caylor Custom flies......Great quality Great prices......$1.00/fly I have bought over 35 dozen from him in the past 2 years and have never bee disapointed. I believe his web siter is: caylorcustomflies.com.
I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised if you need a particular fli tied and he doesn't normally tie it just send him a sample and he will tie what you need.He is a sponsor with the North Georgia Trout Online.

Check him out.........Bob
Old 11-18-2010, 07:14 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by okuma View Post
bigyfly.com
I won't recommend against them but will say lately I've had hooks straighten to easy and break right below the eye on the hook. They did resend the order. Had some prince nymphs hooks bend too easily last weekend.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:34 PM

goldentrout is on a distinguished road

For stocking up on standard patterns and custom orders;
FLY FISHING FLIES / $0.42 fishing flies / fly fishing gear

More stocking up on mostly standard patterns;
1. Welcome to YDFlies.com, your online discount fly shop!

2. Premium Discount Fishing Flies, Trout Flies, Fly Fishing Shop

For mixed patterns or less than a dozen;
Fly Fishing Flies, The Fly Stop, Discount Fly Fishing, Trout & Steelhead Flies, Cheap Flies, Quality Fishing Equipment

Read the stuff in the websites and decide what if anything works for you.
Money back guaranties, shipping, custom orders and whatever.

These are the ones I use when I don't buy fly shop flies.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Bighornflies offers excellent quality at reasonable prices: Bighorn Flies
Besides, I like his logo: "My flies just taste better !!!!"
Larry
shortyb likes this.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Buy locally....
rusty 54 and mbchilton like this.

Last edited by FrankB2; 09-01-2011 at 06:37 AM.