The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: Do You think bright colors & shiny rods, reels, equipment make a difference ?
Yes 13 40.63%
No 10 31.25%
Never Noticed a Difference 5 15.63%
Don't Care. 4 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
I'm always moving upstream. If I screwed up and spooked a fish. I don't wait for it to come back.

And hit it again on the way back...LOL
Old 01-12-2009, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Attachment 1420I stick with olive drab, camo, and khaki for my wardrobe.

I use only grey lines and (now) floro leaders.

I sneak and peek prior to wading and sometimes use my Zeiss 10 X 25 mini B's to assist in locating fish prior to the approach.

I catch allot of fish, no brag just fact. I absolutely believe that my catch numbers are directly related to my hunter mentality when I fish.
Attachment 1417
Yes these are different fish.

Attachment 1418
I believe that keeping a low profile while landing or netting a fish especially one that you intend to release leads to alot less stress and excitement for the fish and fewer fish that get away at the last moment. The whole idea is don't let them see you.

Attachment 1419
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0266.jpg (121.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0262.jpg (120.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0260.jpg (122.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1407.jpg (124.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Hardyreels: I couldn't agree more.

I went to the Denver Fly Fishing show this weekend and noticed that Ross now has a camo reel.....looked great but didn't ask what the price was.

Larry
Old 01-13-2009, 08:39 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

If a fish can tell the difference between a black reel and a camo reel, and not notice your white hand? They're dumber than I think they are.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
If a fish can tell the difference between a black reel and a camo reel, and not notice your white hand? They're dumber than I think they are.
GLOVES! LOL Larry, Is the camo a shiny finish? Just asking cause that would be what flashes.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:02 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I think that almost all of a fish's predators come from above ( excepting water snakes, larger fish etc.) & they get attuned to their environment. Any thing out of the ordinary, (Flash, or movement from above) will put them on edge.
Granted their brain is the size of a pea but they are survivors of evolution & Their eyes are on the top of the head so they're looking up. Like I said earlier I've seen Trout & salmon scoot away or feed off my boots but I've also seen them stay in the same area & act nervous & stop feeding. I have a shiny reel & after seeing the video I'm going to dull it up. I was also thinking of dyeing my vest a dark green or brown. This might be a little extreme but it couldn't hurt. I've fished some of Penn's limestone streams & there you definitely have to sneak up to the bank. & plan where you cast. I've seen fisherman kneeling on the bank casting from almost a prone position & they were the locals & they caught fish. I usually use a little stealth when entering a stream & look around first. I try to dry fly fish upstream but I've seen trout positioned sideways in the stream so that isn't a foolproof solution. I usually nymph or streamer fish downstream so a long line or stealth is needed. IMHO
Old 01-13-2009, 01:13 PM

It cracks me up when I release a fish, and it tries to hide next to my boot.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to fish at the longest possible distances (limited only by my casting abilities and the ability to see/feel a fish on the line); it's just more fun for me that way. So, I don't pay much attention to what I wear. But I just did a quick inventory and it's mostly neutral colors; tans / browns / some dark greens. I don't carry any stainless or chromed devices on my vest (all black anodized). Rods tend to be dark colors (greens / burgandies / etc.) and reels, for the most part, are black. So, without thinking much more about it, I'd say that I'm a "non-flasher"!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
I tend to fish at the longest possible distances (limited only by my casting abilities and the ability to see/feel a fish on the line); it's just more fun for me that way. So, I don't pay much attention to what I wear. But I just did a quick inventory and it's mostly neutral colors; tans / browns / some dark greens. I don't carry any stainless or chromed devices on my vest (all black anodized). Rods tend to be dark colors (greens / burgandies / etc.) and reels, for the most part, are black. So, without thinking much more about it, I'd say that I'm a "non-flasher"!
That's good. The world doesn't need anymore flashers.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:33 PM

Now you guys have got this visual of a full length fishing vest...and maybe hippers.....YIKES!