The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: Do You think bright colors & shiny rods, reels, equipment make a difference ?
Yes 13 40.63%
No 10 31.25%
Never Noticed a Difference 5 15.63%
Don't Care. 4 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 04:26 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Now you guys have got this visual of a full length fishing vest...and maybe hippers.....YIKES!

Uh.................no! I don't have that visual!
Old 01-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

A girl think...lol
Old 01-17-2009, 08:13 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

As I see it, eliminating anything that alerts the fish to your presence is not helpful. I passed on some good deals for a reel to use on very small streams because they had bright, reflective finishes. Clothes that blend in only seem to make sense to me. There's a reason sharks are light on the bottom, and dark on the top.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:18 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Hardyreels: I couldn't agree more.

I went to the Denver Fly Fishing show this weekend and noticed that Ross now has a camo reel.....looked great but didn't ask what the price was.

Larry
IMO, that's for us, not the fish.
Look at archery equipment. I'm convinced deer can't tell the diff between high def camo and patterns that work to break up your outline. The high def just looks cooler to people. Camo arrow shafts? If they bust you because they saw your black arrows..........well........that wasn't really what alerted them.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

PDQ

I couldn't agree more. I wasn't advocating going out and purchasing camo reels, just made an obersvation that I spotted a camo reel by Ross. It wasn't shiny, it looks to be the same process they use on camo gun barrels and archery equipment.

Larry
Old 01-17-2009, 08:54 AM

OldMan will become famous soon enoughOldMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
PDQ

I couldn't agree more. I wasn't advocating going out and purchasing camo reels, just made an obersvation that I spotted a camo reel by Ross. It wasn't shiny, it looks to be the same process they use on camo gun barrels and archery equipment.

Larry
I didn't point my post at you, but at the makers of the camo reels. It's just another hustle to get money from the gullible.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

As I said earlier it all comes down to what you are fishing for and where you are fishing. I can give you a good example of two instances that in one case it makes a difference and in another it don't matter at all.

Situation 1.

Fishing a bass lake in Florida. You can catch bass four feet from the boat, standing at the edge of the deck fishing cover. The bass don't move or make any effort to get away from you. The water is clear but colored and they can see your line. You will still catch fish. Now it is possible that the big old whopper that is wise will not be caught but you catch a lot of fish. I have caught an 8 pounder in this situation so even the whoppers don't care much what is going on above them. In this case I would say a flashy reel or bright clothing would not be a problem.

Situation 2.

Fishing a spring fed river in Florida and the water is crystal clear. The river gets a bunch of boat travel, it is not very wide and has a bunch of tubers during the Summer. The only cover is on the edges of the river but the fish fed away from the sides in the currant. The fish are extremely line shy and any noise or movement moves the bass away from you. The water is so clear that you can see their movement and reaction. In this case if they see you, your fly line, a flash, or any unnatural act, the fish will be on guard and move off. If you catch one fish you have to move on and maybe when you return you might get another. That is if no one else has been fishing the same spot while you were gone. In this case I would say a flashy reel or bright clothing could be a problem.

If you are fishing where flash makes a difference you should also be concerned about the flash from your rod. I am not sure how we ended up with glossy, shinny rods. I guess we can thank marketing people. If I was making rods they would have a dull finish. We do it with guns and cameras so why not fly rods?

Frank
Old 01-17-2009, 11:33 AM

So true Frank. That's why they started to blue the ferrules, guides, and reel seat hardware on bamboo rods.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi to all,

If you are fishing where flash makes a difference you should also be concerned about the flash from your rod. I am not sure how we ended up with glossy, shinny rods. I guess we can thank marketing people. If I was making rods they would have a dull finish. We do it with guns and cameras so why not fly rods?

Frank

Maybe we worry to much about nothing. Pete brought up Bamboo...that has been around a very long time with the guides, the ferrules, the reel seats right down to the finish to keep that bamboo waterproof.
I say, stay low and you could wear diamonds LOL
Old 01-17-2009, 06:45 PM

We all hope the fish will see our fly before any flashing.

At least that's the plan.